mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Straddle cable yoke

I have acquired vintage Ritchey with old style cantilever brakes and straddle cable. This is not entirely safe because brake cable could separate and straddle cable would lock up front wheel.

Link cables I have seen are not nearly long enough (I would need about 120mm) for this bike. One could put reflector bracket onto fork but it is not drilled for it. I have a drill but did not want to do that.

I know this problem came up a long time ago and people acquired some kind of new yoke thingy that fixed the problem.

Does anybody remember this stuff?

Roy

Old man on a bike
    What's wrong with the straddle cable? Is it damaged? I ran bikes for years with various straddle cables and never had a problem. Not sure what you mean by a link cable.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Most people never have a problem but you never know. It is why link cables were created.

A link cable has one end like a straddle cable that hooks into one cantilever but ends with round piece out of which there is a tube going to the second cantilever; it is an 'L' shaped thing with the angle at the top. The brake cable goes from the brake lever through a cable housing, through the round piece and through the tube to the second cantilever. That way, if the brake cable separates, the cantilevers flop away from the wheel and your only problem is no front brakes (well, it is a problem I suppose).

Link cables come in sizes. Old cantilevers like mine are too far apart for any link cables I have seen lately.

Old man on a bike
    I wouldn't worry about it safety-wise personally. I know what you mean by link cable now, too. Just what those brakes were about.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roy286
    I have acquired vintage Ritchey with old style cantilever brakes and straddle cable. This is not entirely safe because brake cable could separate and straddle cable would lock up front wheel.

Link cables I have seen are not nearly long enough (I would need about 120mm) for this bike. One could put reflector bracket onto fork but it is not drilled for it. I have a drill but did not want to do that.

I know this problem came up a long time ago and people acquired some kind of new yoke thingy that fixed the problem.

Does anybody remember this stuff?

Roy
    yoke thingy? you talking about odyssey straddle rods?

it's pretty much a non-issue, as already stated, unless you don't keep an eye on your cable's to make sure they're in decent shape.
    The shimano y-link straddle cables give very poor leverage. I go for wide cable hangers, set low as possible to the tire. Avid tri-dangles are readily available and have set screws, if you want to use them to hold the straddle cable, if it breaks.

Members who have read this thread: 0