Stock Avid bb7 pads are worthless and loud.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stock Avid bb7 pads are worthless and loud.

That's about it. They refuse to return my calls and emails so here I am.

Nobody else needs to take this personally if YOU have managed to make them work. You're not stock holders so don't be upset.

Cheers.

g3h6o3
    I've never had problem with any set of sintered stock BB7 pads. Look elsewhere for your problem buddy.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    If you have the roundagon rotors, that may be the problem. I swapped to G2 cleansweeps and my noise issues went away.

mtbr member
    How did you come to the conclusion that it is the pads that are the problem?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    How did you come to the conclusion that it is the pads that are the problem?
    They are LOUD as hell with the new G2 rotors, xtr rotors, and alligator rotors. Listen, bedding brakes isn't difficult, and I've done it in the past, but these stock pads are crap.

PissedOffCil, well then, I'm sure if you've never encountered a problem with them, then they must be perfect. I'm sure everything you touch turns to gold as well.

mtbr member
    Loud brakes aren't always the fault of the pads.

I'm just messing with you
    Replace them with thick hunks of cardboard. Noise problem gone. If you don't have enough stopping power, add staples to provide extra friction.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    I agree with him cardbord is cheap to.If you dont like the cardboard just take the brakes off then they wont make any noise at all.Just use your feet with some good shoes. .

mtbr member
    Buy different pads ???
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding
    PissedOffCil, well then, I'm sure if you've never encountered a problem with them, then they must be perfect. I'm sure everything you touch turns to gold as well.
    Exactly and since you are having problems with them then they are crap. I'm sure everything you touch turns into sh1t as well.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've probably gone through two dozen sets of the stock BB7 pads (same one's used on Juicy brakes too), they've worked fine.

It's not the pads, you're doing something wrong. Maybe you should make another thread where you make a wild accusation and provide little information.

mtbr member
    2 dozen sets! That's a lot of braking!

mtbr member
    If I valued really quiet pads more than anything else I would switch to organic, but the stock sintered pads perform very well and last fairly well in return for a little bit of noise. If you are setting everything up correctly, maybe you're just way too sensitive to noise?

mtbr member
    There are a lot of threads about brake squeal. It is often hard to find the cause, and consequently, hard to find the solution. But reading about what others have done will help you. Obviously, just saying a certain type of brake or pad sucks is an oversimplification, since the experiences of individuals varies so greatly.

Putting some of this anti squeal stuff from Autozone, on the back of my pads (Hayes), works to kill minor squealing for me, but has to be reapplied after several rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I used that quite stuff too. Great for taking out vibrations.

For noise, you need to bed the breaks better. My personal experience, pads dont bed as fast as most people think.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I have been selling, recommendation and riding BB7 with metallic pads for years, it's actually my favorite setup. Great performance and value. I too can't say I have or have herd issues with excessive noise.

If you do believe it to be a problem take it to a reputable bike shop and have them install and setup some new pads. Then you can be sure they are setup properly and if you still have issues try the organic pads and some solid sweep rotors. You will loose some power with the organics but they should be a lot quieter. You also have to accept that brakes are going to make some noise, it's just a byproduct of the friction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding
    They are LOUD as hell with the new G2 rotors, xtr rotors, and alligator rotors. Listen, bedding brakes isn't difficult, and I've done it in the past, but these stock pads are crap.
    No problems here with G2 and Shim.Centerlock.
    Must be something else.
    Do you use some sort of car shampoo or silicone spray to clean your bike ?
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    You also have to accept that brakes are going to make some noise, it's just a byproduct of the friction.
    Maybe the worst thing about disc brakes IMO.
    But, with careful tinkering and a bit of luck, you don't have to have noisy brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    to the op.... i have bb7's on my hard tail. with one finger squeezin the front lever it is impossible to move the front wheel at all. there is no noise either unless its a lil wet out. something is wrong with your setup....

Members who have read this thread: 1