Stock Avid BB7 pads suck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stock Avid BB7 pads suck

Emailed Avid and they gave me the standard "clean your rotor" and "sand the pads" bs, but they always suck! If they squeal after having done that every time, then they suck!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Brilliant deduction, Watson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone have suggestions for good BB7 Resin pads?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's not that they're expensive, rather, once you factor in the added $40-ish for a new set of front and rear pads for NEW brakes, then it's pretty crappy that they suck.

They don't come with cables, levers, or housing, so you'd think that the stock pads would at least last more than one ride without screeching/glassing over. $90 (pricepoint) for a caliper and pads is pretty steep considering that one has to supply the rest.

I'm just messing with you
    My BB7s with stock pads don't squeal.

Anyone that recently paid $90 for one wheel's worth of BB7s was played for a fool. Are you sure it isn't $90 for both front and back?
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    I've been very happy with the Avid sintered pads (which came with my BB7s). I've also used Avid resin and EBC resin/sintered. I like the Avid sintered pads on the front and have found that resin pads work nicely on the back.

After the initial break-in I have not had any squealing issues with any pads on my BB7s-- I wish I could say the same for my Elixir CRs.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My discs are resin only.

EBC's are looking good.

Never trust a fart
    IME, squealing brakes, especially BB7's, is due to an improper caliper setup.

Do a search on this. Squash has posted about this at least 1000 times. I've followed his advice when I originally setup my BB7's, and they came out perfect. Only squealing was when the brakes are applied after water crossings, which is pretty normal for disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My stupid Avid sintered pads are stupid reliable. I have no problems, and just order more from amazon for cheap. I'm plenty happy with stock pads and Alligator rotors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    IME, squealing brakes, especially BB7's, is due to an improper caliper setup.

Do a search on this. Squash has posted about this at least 1000 times. I've followed his advice when I originally setup my BB7's, and they came out perfect. Only squealing was when the brakes are applied after water crossings, which is pretty normal for disc brakes.
    Thanks for the advise, but I've installed and bedded my fair share of brakes in the past and a couple of bb7's as well. I just think that their pads suck and 90% of us have to purchase upgrades from teh get go.

BB7 stock pads suck and have to be replaced from day one.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I like Kool stop pads. They work nicely, but I have the Avid organic pads on the front and they work equally well. I ride in almost every condition imaginable. YMMV
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding
    Thanks for the advise, but I've installed and bedded my fair share of brakes in the past and a couple of bb7's as well. I just think that their pads suck and 90% of us have to purchase upgrades from teh get go.

BB7 stock pads suck and have to be replaced from day one.
    I'm happy with both flavours of pads that Avid makes for the BB7s.

If a claimed 90% of users are not happy with them, they could just send them my way, and I'd never have to pay for brake pads again.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Switched to $20 a set organics for front and rear and they work perfectly.

I sanded the old ones, put on a new wheelset with new rotors and attempted to re-bed them and still effing LOUD! I'm happy that it works for some of you, but that's not the case for everyone. You know it's a problem when there's a 10+ page thread on their pads making noise.

Members who have read this thread: 0