stiff Avid bb7 adjusters- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

stiff Avid bb7 adjusters

The pad contact adjustment dials (knobs?) on my bb7's have become a bit difficult to turn, especially the inside ones. Is there a way to correct this without causing any grief to the brakes? I've contemplated using lube, but that may end up attracting dirt, which could only make things worse.

Suggestions, anyone?

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    The outboard adjuster should be easy. In my experience the inboard adjuster never gets better, you must use a T-25. Some people say if you use the adjuster a lot it loosens yup, I haven't experienced that as of yet.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Some tri flow might help. But the inner one never does get better.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

keeping it dirty
    I am in the process of installing new BB7s on my bike.. I was not able to turn the inside knob without a T25 either.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    If the inboard adjuster doesn't turn at all inward, you may way to try and take it out by screwing it out, and then resetting it. If it simply does not move at all and these brakes are new, I'd be pretty certain that caliper is defective and you should return it or exchange it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They are older brakes (appr. 5 years). They don't have a Torx fitting on the inboard - it's a dial mounted on a rectangular tab. Would WD 40 cause any harm, assuming that I removed the brake pads before I sprayed it on the dial.

To clarify: I should have said that only the inboard dials are difficult to turn. The outboard ones are fine.

AZ
    banned
    Remove the caliper and turn the dial by hand , it will get easier to turn after a few cycles . If it dosent get easier or refuses to turn you may have to disassemble or replace it .

bi-winning
    If I can't turn the inside dial on my BB7s, I get needle nose pliers, stick the ends in the rectangular slots of the dial, and rotate.

It's nice to see that the newer models have added the ability to use a Torx key.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    I believe thats just how it is. My inboard adjustment dial is hard to turn as well. I've resorted to taking off the wheel just to get a better grip at it.

Although ideally its only a click or two, the major adjustment is done on the outboard.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

Go Leafs Go
    May 2010
    i got new a pair of new bb7s, both are stiff. i just use the t25.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Old thread, but, seems to be the most relevant.

On my 2016 Mtn BB7 the inboard adjuster is smooth and easy to turn by hand but, the outboard one was so stiff I thought it might be defective. I read one person's post suggesting to take the brake off and turn it - that helped.

It's still stiff (the outer one) but at least it's working and if I put a small piece of cloth over it, it doesn't hurt my fingers to turn it.

Mudhorse
    ^ Aye, still plenty of BB7s out there with stiff adjusters. They're just clogged with dirt is all, and can be brought back to a finger-friendly state by stripping down, cleaning and re-greasing. They're not very complicated so it's a fairly easy job.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

Class Clown
    should be a writeup or vid around, they are pretty easy to disassemble

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mine are brand new - came almost too stiff to turn on one of them, was hurting my thumbs until I grabbed a piece of cloth to twist it with.

Class Clown
    That's why they come with the little torx wrench

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    That's why they come with the little torx wrench
    The inside, that takes the Torx wrench is smooth and easy to turn, only the outside is stiff. It's gotten a little better since I've installed and mounted them. Just one caliper was that stiff, the other is smooth and easy to turn on both sides.

Also, I got the "OEM" version without retail packaging or the Torx wrench, but, I do have the wrenches anyway (just not the one that apparently comes with the brakes).

Members who have read this thread: 1