sticky Juicy's- Mtbr.com

Thread: sticky Juicy's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sticky Juicy's

I have this problem now with 2 different sets of Juicy's. First set is a on my bike Juicy 7 and 1 piston in the front caliper is not retracting and both in the rear are not retracting. The other set is a Juicy 5 on the wife's bike and also one piston is not retracting in the rear. I've taken the pads out and squeezed the lever and you can clearly see the one side moving out but not back in the other side moves out and then retracts. I can push the piston back but if you let it sit a bit the sticky piston creeps out a little. I've soaked them in brake fluid and WD-40 not working. So whats the fix on this?

Tim

One Gear
    Use the correct brake fluid and not WD-40. Work the pistons out and clean with a Q-tip soaked in fluid. Push the pistons back in. Keep working them in and out and cleaning in between until they move together. This is a common Juicy problem that Avid refuses to fix.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Good advice on the fix. In an extreme case, you may need to remove the piston to thoroughly clean; both the piston and the caliper bore.

It's a common fault with disc brakes in general. It happens in cars, motorcycles, etc, etc. As the pads wear, the pistons become exposed to the elements. I don't think it's Avid's fault.

I'd rather be riding!
    +1 on both of the above responses.

Members who have read this thread: 0