SRAM xo Brakes - want to adjust banjo bolt...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SRAM xo Brakes - want to adjust banjo bolt...

Thought I would ask here before trying this...

I want to adjust the angle of the rear brake cable into the calliper. I believe this can be done with the banjo bolt...but there is a bleed screw in there, and I'm worried that in making this adjustment the fluid will leak out (I only want to adjust the angle, not bleed the brakes...is this possible, if it is, any tips? Thanks

mtbr member
    You don't need to touch the bleed port. Gently loosen the banjo bolt just enough so you can adjust it, put it where you need it, then tighten everything back up. That being said, I have about an 80% accuracy for not having to bleed after making this adjustment vs. having to bleed afterwards. Most times it works, sometimes it doesn't, at least for me. This is my advice, but I'm looking forward to hear if anyone else has any tricks to avoid bleeding 100% of the time.

mtbr member
    MTB banjo fittings I'm familiar with seal with o-rings on both sides, so as long as they're loosened only enough to just allow it to be repositioned and not decompress the o-ring they haven't needed bleeding. It wouldn't hurt to pump the lever a few times before loosening the bolt. Also, holding slight pressure on the lever (rubber bands) for the duration will almost certainly prevent any air from getting in. It's best to re-tighten to the specified torque but tightening the bolt to the same point as it was should be close enough if done with care.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. I understand the procedure and tips.

Before I try this, and remembering I'm new to hydraulic disks, what can go wrong and how easy is it to remedy (trying to determine if this is worth it)? I'm guessing if it does go wrong I may see some brake fluid leaking (I can have a try on hand), possibly getting on some parts, or perhaps I don't see fluid but the brakes don't work as well? And if anything like this happens I'm assuming I'll be off to the LBS to have them bleed the line and put in fluid (I still have to read up about that procedure)?

Thanks again...

mtbr member
    If you put a rubber band on the lever, you'll have pressure in the system and air can not enter. It doesn't need to be a strong one, just enough to make the pads move and come into contact with the rotor.

Then it's only a matter of loosening the banjo bolt. Start with just 1/8th of a turn and see if you can reposition the hose. If it won't budge, loosen another 1/8th. Remember: it's easier to stop turning to see if you're there, than going back after having gone too far. Keep the wrench on the nut so you can tighten it immediately in case of a leak.

You will be unlikely to lose as much as a drop of brake fluid. A drop or two is nothing to worry about: just flush it with water afterwards.

Wear spectacles and protective gloves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    If you put a rubber band on the lever, you'll have pressure in the system and air can not enter. It doesn't need to be a strong one, just enough to make the pads move and come into contact with the rotor.

Then it's only a matter of loosening the banjo bolt. Start with just 1/8th of a turn and see if you can reposition the hose. If it won't budge, loosen another 1/8th. Remember: it's easier to stop turning to see if you're there, than going back after having gone too far. Keep the wrench on the nut so you can tighten it immediately in case of a leak.

You will be unlikely to lose as much as a drop of brake fluid. A drop or two is nothing to worry about: just flush it with water afterwards.

Wear spectacles and protective gloves.
    What did you mean by "just flush it with water afterwards"?

Do you mean that if a drop or two does spill, to wipe down with say a damp cloth (can't hose right now as it's winter) whatever came into contact with fluid?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    What did you mean by "just flush it with water afterwards"?

Do you mean that if a drop or two does spill, to wipe down with say a damp cloth (can't hose right now as it's winter) whatever came into contact with fluid?
    No need to use the hose. Just take a water bottle and poke a couple holes in the cap or use a cycling bottle. Squeeze some water over the area and you get a gentle shower of water where you need it. Water neutralizes the DOT fluid, so it's easy to wash off any fluid you spill.
    Last edited by sasquatch rides a SS; 02-18-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    ^ As above. Just a spray bottle or wet wipes will do. I don't think just a damp cloth would suffice, but you certainly don't need a hose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. I'll try this tonight and post the results tomorrow (hopefully, good ones).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    Thanks. I'll try this tonight and post the results tomorrow (hopefully, good ones).
    It worked. Thanks again fellow mtbr's.