Sram Level- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sram Level

meow meow

Sram Level

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/level-brakes looks like avid is close to being completely killed off. idk if it is just an illusion but the lever blades look like the have a straighter, more "avid-ish" shape than the guides which i prefer. might look into getting a set of tl levers to replace my beat up x0 trail levers.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There are times it's best to kill of the brand, but take any tech they had.

Avid has had a very hit or miss track record. It's mostly been miss IMHO. Their BB7 line was great for mech disk.

With the dreaded turkey gobble, and a few other notable problems, it's just best Avid goes away.

The Guide brakes appear to be a winner. A buddy has them on his yeti and loves them.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    "We totally bunged up with 8 years of sucktastic Elixirs, so let's bring back the Juicy"
    2007 called, they want their brakes back.

Live Free & Ride
    Think I will stick the best brake I have ever run....the Guide!

SRAM Level brakes pack DH tech into XC/trail package - Mtbr.com
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Anyone bought the brake?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was so blown away by the guides that came on my fat bike, my X-C rocket is in the shop right now getting fit with the Level TLMs (was stock Avid 3s). Looks like the trails will be a bit toast around here with a cycle of snow and thaw for the up-coming week, but as soon as it's responsible to do so, I'll hit the trails and let you know what I think.

I won't have much to compare to...I've only used XT/XTV, Avid 3, Juicy 7, and Guides. I was thinking about checking out the MTnext 6 for this upgrade, but thought it would be nice to have cross compatibility with rotors on my fat bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My XX WC brakes have been absolutely flawless after a year of riding but I am awaiting the day they go for crap. Please keep us updated on the TLM!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My local trail conditions FB page suggested conditions only good for the fat bike this weekend, and I got a bit of a rain/snow ride in on my road bike. Now, I've got 2-3 feet of snow in the forecast...March seems to have gotten in backwards, came in like a lamb and is going out like a lion. I'll give you a run down, but it'll be a week or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got my bike back (less some 60 grams) with TMLs installed. Unfortunately, the weather forecast last week was pretty accurate. We got just under 30 inches of really wet spring snow so trails are off limits for the time being. On the bright side, we have temps in the mid 60s all week, and even a windy day in the forecast, so things should firm up quickly.

Initial impressions without ridding is that the feel and contact are advertised (indistinguishable from the Guides), set up is really clean, and adjustments appear to be pretty meaningful. I'll drop a line after I drop in a few lines.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've now had the chance to ride about 4 hours over 3 rides this weekend with varying conditions (the only omission is a REALLY long and steep hill...trail conditions aren't quite there for that kind of test).

I will stay, that I am still running my old rotors. They were in good shape and already 'bedded in' so Avid HSX...

In short, the brakes are phenomenal. Everything works as advertised....

Couple of minor niggles... the reach and contact adjustments are tooled and out of the way of a lighter, and cleaner setup... But, I'm running a XX1 with grip shift and so I had to actually move the brake lever on the right inward on the bar to actually get a tool to the appropriate adjustment nut. With other drive trains MAYBE you can adjust without moving the lever, but I had no such luck. Also, my wrench told me that he had to bleed one of the brakes out of the box...not entirely unheard of, but something to keep in mind. Jury is still out as I may still be breaking them in, and perhaps the rotors have something to do with it, but when braking hard on the front, I did get a little bit of vibration that I wasn't expecting, but I'm also not at all concerned about it.

Now, out on the trail.

Ergonomics are darn good. The lever is a bit flatter then other brakes I've used so I feel like I've got a bit more of my skin on the lever. More contact area may contribute to the light feel of the lever too (less pressure), and feels more secure. With the reach and contact adjustments, you can dial it in exactly where you want it, and how much free stroke it has.

Power...there's plenty. These ARE different then Shimanos, and I prefer it. It seams as though the shimanos have less stroke. The lever doesn't really move much after the contact, and modulation is based on how hard you are pressing the lever, as opposed to how far they move. With the Sram Levels and Guides, your pressure is pretty consistent through the stroke, but they are modulated by how much farther you pull the lever. To me this is more natural and less fatiguing.

Overall, I love these brakes and am quite satisfied.