Squeaky XT disc brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Squeaky XT disc brakes

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a loud annoying squeak on their rear XT disc brakes? The brakes came standard on my new Giant XTC advanced hardtail. They are ok when u hit the brakes really hard but just feathering the rear brake through corners its squeals! anyway any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers Jon

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    only when wet
    clean the rotor with alcohol or acetone ( I use a scotchbrite) remove the pads and lightly sand
    could also need adjusting

mtbr member
    I used 1500 grit to sand the rotors.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If the brakes are new, the rotors and pads will take a while to bed in. During this time you will have noise issues. If you are riding in wet/muddy conditions then use the metal pads.
    The pads should be bed in properly before you ride, this way they will last a lot longer and there should be no squeal.
    If they are bed in properly, check alignment. Check spoke tension on the rear wheel, if it's low or uneven this will also cause noise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SwissStop Brake Silencer

I haven't tried it yet, saw it InterBike. If all else fails maybe give it a try.
    http://www.swissstop.com/SwissStopSilencer.aspx
    What the others said about initial set up is a must. The brakes will work better and last longer and noise free. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0