mtbr member

Squeaky rear brake

I have a fairly new Mojo Sl about 2 months old with the SLX kit and the Formula RX, 180mm Front Rotor, 160mm Rear Rotor brakes. Since I got it the brakes the rear one has squeaked and squealed a lot. The tech at the shop said it would go away after a break in period. Well it hasn't and it is really annoying. I am going back to the shop tomorrow to have it checked out. Anyone have similar issues with these brakes. I realize they are not high end but I ride with a lot of people and I do not hear any brake squeals. Could it be my braking technique, I have never had a bike with disk brakes and perhaps there is a way to brake properly?

mtbr member
    The "wait it out" thing is what i would suggest. My dad just bought a BMC Trailfox with Deore brakes that squealed and howled for the first month. The noise did go away, but not after a few annoying rides.

mtbr member
    How long do you think is a reasonable time,I have ridden at least 20 rides and the noise is getting worse.

mtbr member
    It should be broken in by now. Maybe the rear brake pad housing is not aligned properly? Or, try cleaning the pads and disc with rubbing alcohol. It shouldn't be squealing anymore.

mtbr member
    I took it into the shop and they sanded the rotor with 100 grit sandpaper so I will give that a try.

mtbr member
    i had this same problem.sanding it down worked for me.

mmmaxxis
    May 2011
    If they sand the brake pad and apply rubbing alcohol onto the rotor, there should be no more disc brake squeal. If that did not work, then the brake pads are probably not aligned properly.

mtbr member
    I'm having the same problem with my front disk brake...Im pretty sure that its broken in...I DID only get it a week ago...but have ridden it every day at least 10+ miles since then. It just started today, and squeaks really loud even when I'm not braking. I think I might have knocked one of the pads loose? I checked and it rubs...not really bad, but it does.