smashed rotor- Mtbr.com

Thread: smashed rotor

mtbr member

smashed rotor

is there a point that too much bend in a rotor renders it useless? smashed mine against a rock during a crash, and i cant quite work out enough of the wobble to get it to work properly. it seems like there is a ripple in it now, and no amount of tweaking has returned it to true...its not the end of the world...but any help or knowledge on this issue would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Im no expert, but most here will suggest you just get a new rotor. At least that is what I have learned from many threads here.

mtbr member
    fair enough....kind of thinking the same thing, guess i was just holding out hope that somehow i wouldnt have to drop the coin on a new one. thanks
    Last edited by cdirte; 12-06-2009 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1

Brakes run with such small tolerances that to accept a small amount of rub would make them pulse as the warped bit ran through the pads too.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You can try ridding the brakes a bit while going down a really steep hill, then you can take a crescent wrench and true it a bit to the pads. Sometimes heat will make it a lot easier to true

mtbr member
    May 2005
    make a wall clock out of the bent rotor.

mtbr member
    Also agree. I had the same thing happen and I spent so much time trying to straighten it out but never could get it right. A simple warp seems to be not too bad but once they get a ripple, it's over in my opinion.

XC Ground Pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    make a wall clock out of the bent rotor.
    +1

I concur. Or a huge coaster.

But if you're hellbent (pun intended), and plan on warping the hell out of more rotors, buy a set of Drumstix

http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discou...tool-drumstix/

They make rotor truing quite a bit easier, and baking them a bit helps too (the rotor, not the tool).

May not be worth the money if you don't plan on truing a LOT of rotors, since most new rotors are less than the tool.
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

mtbr member
    i now have a new decorative piece of bike art...and a new rotor on my bike.

XC Ground Pounder
    Congrats! Lets see what old man imagination comes up with for the old rotor!
    Well, since they gave us a KHS forum, I guess I have to come up with something else for a sig.

Members who have read this thread: 0