mtbr member

Slow lever return.

I have a set of formula 24. The front lever doesnt return to the extended position unless I push it out. I noticed that when I gave the extra push the pads were also retracting. I assumed it was a "sticky piston". So I extended the pistons out a bit, cleaned with alcohol as well as possible, then added a bit of lite lube around the piston. I then cycled the pistons with pads and rotor a number of times, thinking this would loosen it up. No go. Still slow return.
    I also lubed the pivot on the arm.

Any ideas on what should be tried next?

thanks.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have you tried removing the cable and cable housings from the bike and and spraying a cleaner/lube into the housing. Your prob. could be a "build-up" of "gunk" inside the housings. If you've tried the ends, try the middle.

mtbr member
    These are hydraulics, sealed system.

Any other ideas????

Old man on a bike
    When were they last bled?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I just rebled them.
    I heard from a LBS that sometime the lever adjuster rubs on the inside of the lever. I screwed the lever adjuster all the way in, in fact too far in and stripped it. I think I really screwed it up, because it won't adjust back now. I'll call formula on Monday and see if they have any ideas on how to fix both problems now. Luckily I have a set of back up Hayes.
    thanks for input.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    I just rebled them.
    I heard from a LBS that sometime the lever adjuster rubs on the inside of the lever. I screwed the lever adjuster all the way in, in fact too far in and stripped it. I think I really screwed it up, because it won't adjust back now. I'll call formula on Monday and see if they have any ideas on how to fix both problems now. Luckily I have a set of back up Hayes.
    thanks for input.
    Shoot them off a email tonight ya never know you may get a weekend answer.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Shoot them off a email tonight ya never know you may get a weekend answer.
    I couldn't find the email on their site.

Edit: found it, thanks
    Last edited by GhisalloWheels; 06-27-2008 at 11:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Chumba, did you solve the probem and how?
    The same problem appeared "overnight" on my rear Puro lever - and can't figure why.
    Thanks
    fab
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    I ended up sending the brake into formula. They replaced the piston (?) or master selenoid (?). Whatever they did, worked well. Ended up costing me 53.00$. They also fixed the lever pivot. If you give them a call, they tell you. They've always been super helpful. Good Luck.
    thanks,
    Larry

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Larry, I found out that this is a typical issue of older generation Oro brakes.
    At the moment the "sticky" feel is at the initial phase, the lever simply isnt't as "snappy" as it used to be. It will probably get worse over time... then a master cylinder rebuild will be on order
    thanks
    fab
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    Thanks Larry, I found out that this is a typical issue of older generation Oro brakes.
    At the moment the "sticky" feel is at the initial phase, the lever simply isnt't as "snappy" as it used to be. It will probably get worse over time... then a master cylinder rebuild will be on order
    thanks
    fab
    I have a set of brand new Oro Puros and I've been having the exact same problem ever since I got them. The front seems ok, but the rear has always had poor lever return or none at all. Last time I lubed the piston and that helped somewhat--lever return was slow, but at least it worked. This time, no such luck. I have to push the lever back out manually to keep my brakes from continually rubbing. It's pretty frustrating. After spending good money on top of the line brakes, and hardly ridden them, I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of having to send them back and wait who knows how long to get them fixed. In the meantime, thankfully I have my other bike to ride otherwise I'd really be pissed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Unfortunately I have found out it's a relatively common problem. However I lubricated the pistons and the sticky feeling improved a little bit.
    Consider that the spare master cilynder "cartridge" is pretty cheap - but it's not an excuse for a poorly engieered part on a top-dollars brake system!
    flyMTBfish

Members who have read this thread: 0