Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review

Well everyone,

I got my rotors in the mail today. I was one of the first 10 backers for the Kickstarter project and I ordered the 1 piece rotors in 160mm front and rear.

Upon arrival today I would say I was very impressed with the quality out of the box. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber parts and this "felt" different right away. I could tell it was harder and did have a ceramic 'ting' to it. For reference, I am riding an S-Works Epic 29er with Magura MT-8 brakes. I put them on tonight and took them out around the neighborhood. On the packaging they recommend that you do 10-15 "burn-ins" at a "jogging pace" to break in the rotors. I did that exactly then took them to the top of a 3-4% grade hill. Not very steep but enough to get some speed. I got up to about 25mph and slammed on them and.... was impressed! They stopped nearly exactly the same as my Storm SL rotors, maybe a hair better. I do think they need a little more breaking in and they will get even better.

If anyone has any questions, shoot them at me and I am happy to answer them or do some tests. Note: I have no affiliation with Kettle Cycles and just am an excited rider to try and new product.

b a n n e d
    We need pics man . . . pics.

And more details . . . price? weight? can you use any pad? benefits? mounting pattern?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I posted a picture... Can you not see it?

You can get all that info on their website.

mtbr member
    Kettle Cycles
    Siccc carbon rotors

mtbr member
    Look nice and light. I am interested in wet stopping power. I have read the reviews on the site but in F1 and MotoGP they all have to use Al (or some non carbon) rotors in "wet" races. Also the entry price to play is a bit steep for non weight weenies. nevertheless, once you get them "bedded" in if you could report on how well they work, also if you get a chance to get them hot and talk about fade. Thanks,

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    kettlecycles.com
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

mtbr member
    May 2008

Received mine also. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride them until next week.
    SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361534901.328901.jpg

mtbr member
    tech difficulties
    Last edited by IPA Rider; 02-22-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Lots of questions...all about performance, esp. under more extreme use (say 2-3K steep descents). But also how they handle wet conditions. Comparisons to your Storm SL's will be very helpful.

I'm also wondering about the potential that these things won't bend or warp (=no truing), which would be huge in my book.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    tech difficulties
    No. New bike won't be together till next week. I'm pretty sure these rotors will be straight or broken. No way to bend these.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am going to try and get the bike out on the trails this weekend and test them out. It's nice and wet up here in Washington right now, so you should have some wet weather testing info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did you get a shipping notification at any point? Or did they just show up? I'm waiting on my 180/160 SFLs and I'm getting impatient!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet! Did you get a shipping notification or did they just show up? I'm waiting on my SFL 180/160s and I'm getting impatient!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Mine just showed up. No shipping notification.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome I placed a order for a 180mm a week or two ago hopefully will get them in the next few weeks. They quoted me 5 weeks because of curing time
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    Well everyone,

I got my rotors in the mail today. I was one of the first 10 backers for the Kickstarter project and I ordered the 1 piece rotors in 160mm front and rear.

Upon arrival today I would say I was very impressed with the quality out of the box. I have a lot of experience with carbon fiber parts and this "felt" different right away. I could tell it was harder and did have a ceramic 'ting' to it. For reference, I am riding an S-Works Epic 29er with Magura MT-8 brakes. I put them on tonight and took them out around the neighborhood. On the packaging they recommend that you do 10-15 "burn-ins" at a "jogging pace" to break in the rotors. I did that exactly then took them to the top of a 3-4% grade hill. Not very steep but enough to get some speed. I got up to about 25mph and slammed on them and.... was impressed! They stopped nearly exactly the same as my Storm SL rotors, maybe a hair better. I do think they need a little more breaking in and they will get even better.

If anyone has any questions, shoot them at me and I am happy to answer them or do some tests. Note: I have no affiliation with Kettle Cycles and just am an excited rider to try and new product.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Per their website it's 74g for a 180mm. you can use any pad you want. 180mm is $150 160mm is $124

https://www.buykettlecycles.com/Sear...s.asp?Cat=1820

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

And more details . . . price? weight? can you use any pad? benefits? mounting pattern?
    Any pad can be used that was one of their goals, prices start at $100 IIRC

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Got my rotors a couple days ago and got a ride in yesterday and today on them. 110 grams for both. Brakes are Hope Race X2, stainless lines. The first time out used sintered pads as these were the only new pads I had. Down a steep hill, hit the brakes hard 5 or 6 times and hit the trails. Took about an hour of riding to start getting some grab. Rode for 2 1/2 hours, by the end was getting pretty decent grab. The one thing that stood out is the lack of noise. No rubbing and when the brakes are applied the slightest sanding sound. Trails sounds easily drown it out. Brakes sound deathly quiet.
    Second ride, switched out the pads to the used organics that were on before. Brake power started about where it left off the ride before. Just kept getting better. By the end of the 3 hour ride, had forgot about discs and was just riding. The discs were performing as well as the Hope floating, with NO noise of any kind. Had some howling when first started with pads and a couple times in slow technical descent sections. Very happy so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

I agree. and what is wrong that I can only see the first 3 comments in this thread? Someone needs to start an official Kettle cycles Siccc rotor thread. post lots of pictures and more deatiled info!

Also I know they say you can use organic or metalic pads, but I'm wondering which will work better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    I agree. and what is wrong that I can only see the first 3 comments in this thread? Someone needs to start an official Kettle cycles Siccc rotor thread. post lots of pictures and more deatiled info!

Also I know they say you can use organic or metalic pads, but I'm wondering which will work better.
    I have no idea. It's pissing me off though. I had to switch to hybrid view to be able to view the posts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    whats the pricepoint going to be?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    I posted a picture... Can you not see it?

You can get all that info on their website.
    There is something seriously wrong with this thread - it doesn't display properly in either Chrome or IE...

Fred

Bro Mountainbiker
    Nice! I would like some for the bling factor. My Ashima Ai2s weight 66g a piece, so not a lot of weight to shave.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Let us know how they work in the wet, dust, and snow if possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Waiting for my two-piece. A buddy of mine got his SFL one piece and bed it in according to instructions...20-30 rolling stops (but not full stops). The rotors "glazed" correctly as per their site and videos.

The results? Disappointment. Not sure if its the organic XX pads he's using, but it doesn't stop worth a sh*t. There was this 100m -25 degree hill that he had to pull on the lever using both fingers and barely slowed to a reasonable pace.

I really want these to work as advertise as it'll shave some significant weight off by A9C.

He's going to try sintered pads next and hope that will yield better results. He's going to acetone both rotors and pads and restart the bedding process over again.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

As a comparison, he tried my XTR M985 Race with XT rotors and said he can do endos all day.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I'm running the 160 SFL with 2013 Avid XX and I would say they stop as good as factory. The bedding process took some time. I'm using the organic pads also. I would say that the XX just suck all around no matter what rotor you use. That's why I ordered a new set today. Going to give something new a go. Still happy with the rotors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did you have to sand down your pads as others have done? He also has the 2013 brakes and used brand new pads for the break in.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I used new pads and did not sand them. It probably took 20 plus miles of riding before they came in. They are good now. We'll see how they do with a different brand of brakes.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Would love more details man, including shots of it on your bike. You also seem to have the same first name as a company founder - just sayin'.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I'll get some pictures up this weekend. She is a little dirty from today's ride. Kinda funny I have the same first name as someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Would love more details man, including shots of it on your bike. You also seem to have the same first name as a company founder - just sayin'.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here is my review of the 160 SFL rotors that I have been running for the last couple of weeks.

I'm running these rotors on a 2013 BH Ultimate 29er with 2013 Avid XX brakes and organic pads. I weigh 165-170# on most days. I started with new pads as suggested by the manufacturer. The rotors looked good out of the package and mounted up perfectly. Nice and straight with no rub on the pads. I performed the bedding in process as suggested which resulted in mediocre braking performance. I decided to spend some extra time bedding them in which slowly improved the braking performance. The stopping power was good enough that I decided to take them to the trail.

Once I hit the trail it was a little sketchy to begin with. There was just no stopping power. However the more I rode the stronger the brakes got. I only put in 11 or 12 miles the first ride but the brakes just continued to get stronger. As of today I have approximately 70 miles on the rotors. The braking power seems to have reached its maximum potential with the organic pads. I will say that the SFL rotors are super quite. They are far superior to the Avid rotors in that department.

Today I decided to throw the steel rotors and old organic pads back on. I tooled around to bed them back in and set out. The steel with the organic pads definitely has more stopping power at maximum lever pull. When you need to get stopped the steel has that little extra at the end. I will say that the SFL rotors modulate much better and don't have that grabby feel the steel has. Very smooth off and on but they just don't have that little extra power at the end when you need to make that "OH CRAP" stop.

I'm going to continue to run the SFL rotors and try some different pad materials. I will update again after that happens.
    Last edited by jc280; 03-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm also really unhappy with them - running formula r1 with stock pads

No stopping power and squeal like a ***** when you put anything more than light stop on them. Tried sanding pads and running in second disc - same result.

Got some new pads - problem is with extra width of siccc rotors - even with pistons pushed all back - theyre on the disc.

Lastly - they are not either straight or even width - with old pads they brush in spots on both discs.

Look great - so disappointed

mtbr member
    May 2008

I pulled the plug on the rotors today. They were a little better with my new Hope brakes but not that much better. The steel just has more power. Maybe some one can come up with a better pad combination? I'm going to hang onto them for a little bit just in case something pad wise comes up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi--I'm not a mountain biker, but I registered just to note that I've had these on my cyclocross bike (which I actually use as a winter road bike) for about 2 weeks now with no problems. I have BB7s and Swiss Stop green pads. I'd be curious if you switched to these pads whether you'd get better results.

I don't know if road riding in the mountains is easier or harder on brakes than mountain biking, but so far they have performed acceptably, meaning that I can't tell the difference between them and the steel rotors I had on before. Mine do not squeal at all, which is actually the main reason I purchased them.

I wrote a review here: A Review of Kettle Cycles SFL SiCCC Rotors: First Rides | Riding the Catskills

Regarding whether they are straight--mine are a consistent width, but when mounted they are not completely straight. I spent some time trying to figure this out--the rotor itself is flat when dismounted. I'm pretty sure that the mounting points for the rotor on the hub are not completely in plane, and this appears to affect the Siccc rotors more than an steel rotor. For me, the wobble when mounted was small enough that I could get the brakes to work without rubbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrs2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the mounting points for the rotor on the hub are not completely in plane, and this appears to affect the Siccc rotors more than an steel rotor. For me, the wobble when mounted was small enough that I could get the brakes to work without rubbing.
    I have the same issue with my rotors on a set of Enve wheels with DT Swiss 240 6-bolt hubs. After swapping the rotors to a set of Stans wheels with ZTR 3.3 hubs, I find there is less lateral translation but still not a flat plane suggesting the issue is the with the disc mounting faces of the hubs but I am unsure what measures to take to correct that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    I have the same issue with my rotors on a set of Enve wheels with DT Swiss 240 6-bolt hubs. After swapping the rotors to a set of Stans wheels with ZTR 3.3 hubs, I find there is less lateral translation but still not a flat plane suggesting the issue is the with the disc mounting faces of the hubs but I am unsure what measures to take to correct that.
    Whilst not questioning that there is an issue being observed with lateral runout, I find it hard to believe that the hub mounting face is the issue. These are parts that are machined in a CNC Lathe and/or Mill, so for a mounting face to be out is very suspect indeed.

Mind you, there may be a build up of a foreign matter under the mounting face or ?

I think the cultprit is more related to the mounting of the disc. 4Nm is a tiny torque, and whilst most wrenches used on bikes go that low, their accuracy at that level is starting to drift.

Don't know what the answer is, but hopefully I will get to test some soon, so I'll try a few things as part of the review.

Wonder if the same issue will noted with the two piece rotors that are meant to be shipping at end of April ?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

I have a set of 160mm SFL's and man for the life of me I can't even get them set up in my calipers without excessive pad rubbing.....it's like they are way too thick or something...just constant drag with barely any space (none?) between the rotor and pads. This is both XTR brakes on one of my bikes and XX on another. The stock rotors on each of these brake sets set up fine as do some Ashimas that I had sitting around. Anyone else experience this?
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

I Fought The Lawn
    I don't know if road riding in the mountains is easier or harder on brakes than mountain biking
    Much, much harder on disc brakes, especially.

Off road, because of our much lower overall speed and much more confined space, we use our brakes in short bursts, but with very high power. Think stabby.

On road, specifically on a mountain pass going downhill, the bikes overall speed is much higher, and the brakes are applied over huge periods of time.

This prolonged high-stress scenario builds a tremendous amount of heat in the system, which will cause fade, warping, fluid boiling and accelerated wear.

It is usually considered unsafe practice for road bikes (barring the formula/colnago homologation introduced last year) to use a disc brake, as the rotor is very small relative to the rotating mass, requiring exponential friction to bring the machine to a halt. This generates heat, and when the brake cannot dissipate the heat energy fast enough, the brake doesn't generate friction. This is supposedly the huge benefit of the carbon rotor. Actually, the carbon should perform BETTER hot than when cool.

Rim brakes have the advantage of using the largest possible rotor relative to the rotating mass, therefore generate very very little heat, which is why they are capable of using rubber pads and are the undisputed standard of road bikes. Simpler and more reliable.

You guys on the CX bikes are acting as the litmus that we, on our off road bikes, are using to determine whether or not these rotors are going to be useful, as our heat cycles vary greatly.

If they work well for the prolonged high-heat stops that you guys put them through, there is a very good chance we won't be able to heat them up enough to stop properly.
    '15 Lapierre Zesty TR429
    '13 Cannondale F29
    '99 Schwinn 4 Banger
    '98 Manitou FS
    '97 GT LTS-1

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I have a set of 160mm SFL's and man for the life of me I can't even get them set up in my calipers without excessive pad rubbing.....it's like they are way too thick or something...just constant drag with barely any space (none?) between the rotor and pads. This is both XTR brakes on one of my bikes and XX on another. The stock rotors on each of these brake sets set up fine as do some Ashimas that I had sitting around. Anyone else experience this?
    Video here should help. Adjust the free play and please let us know. I'm getting more turned off as more people are starting to report in. My two piece survey came in two weeks ago.

Kettle Cycles - SiCCC rotors: System Integration - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hired Wrench View Post
    Off road, because of our much lower overall speed and much more confined space, we use our brakes in short bursts, but with very high power. Think stabby
    and this is exactly where they don't seem to perform well. I have about 20+ miles on mine and am finding the same as many others... they just don't grab and slow you down fast enough. On the street, I found them usable and didn't have problems even on long steeper pavement downhill. I have the 180/160 SFL kickstarters. sent them a ticket. I'm sure they are overwhelmed with negitive responses right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    @ The Hired Wrench - agree there re Road users requiring more of their brakes . I've been running road disc for some time now and using 180mm front for that very reason. Greater capacity rather than outright power.
    Haven't had any issues yet, but eager to try the carbon rotors.
    Another Forum member (different forum) was in Tapei, where they showed another carbon rotor supplier that used ceramic pucks as the friction material. Also was able to view the SGS test reports, which is something that Kettle haven't been able to show (independant testing), mind you, that's expensive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
    Whilst not questioning that there is an issue being observed with lateral runout, I find it hard to believe that the hub mounting face is the issue. These are parts that are machined in a CNC Lathe and/or Mill, so for a mounting face to be out is very suspect indeed.

Just because someone uses a cnc machine doesnt mean things are perfect..... There is much more involved than just machining a part using cnc to make it perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Just because someone uses a cnc machine doesnt mean things are perfect..... There is much more involved than just machining a part using cnc to make it perfect.
    Very true, but it is more than quite unlikley that the machining would be out (i.e. one or more of the mounting pounts are pout of plane), and is more likely to be an issue with the disc, especially given the substrate material.

It would be interesting to put the same hub where the issue is observed onto a flat table and measured, as well as the rotor though.

Most of the hub would be made on a CNC lathe though, not just a CNC machine.

mtbr member
    Very true, but it is more than quite unlikley that the machining would be out (i.e. one or more of the mounting pounts are pout of plane), and is more likely to be an issue with the disc, especially given the substrate material.

It would be interesting to put the same hub where the issue is observed onto a flat table and measured, as well as the rotor though.

Most of the hub would be made on a CNC lathe though, not just a CNC machine.
    Thanks for clearing up the difference between a lathe and a machine for me........

Most flat surfaces to accurately measure parts on would be considerd a surface plate not a table.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    These look very similar. Of course looks don't mean anything and these are for motorcycles. Bedding process is very similar but these require special pads.

AXIS/CMC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    ...Most flat surfaces to accurately measure parts on would be considerd a surface plate not a table.
    Couldn't think of the word the other night. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
    couldn't think of the word the other night. Thanks
    lol!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hired Wrench View Post
    Much, much harder on disc brakes, especially.

Off road, because of our much lower overall speed and much more confined space, we use our brakes in short bursts, but with very high power. Think stabby.

On road, specifically on a mountain pass going downhill, the bikes overall speed is much higher, and the brakes are applied over huge periods of time.

This prolonged high-stress scenario builds a tremendous amount of heat in the system, which will cause fade, warping, fluid boiling and accelerated wear.

It is usually considered unsafe practice for road bikes (barring the formula/colnago homologation introduced last year) to use a disc brake, as the rotor is very small relative to the rotating mass, requiring exponential friction to bring the machine to a halt. This generates heat, and when the brake cannot dissipate the heat energy fast enough, the brake doesn't generate friction. This is supposedly the huge benefit of the carbon rotor. Actually, the carbon should perform BETTER hot than when cool.

Rim brakes have the advantage of using the largest possible rotor relative to the rotating mass, therefore generate very very little heat, which is why they are capable of using rubber pads and are the undisputed standard of road bikes. Simpler and more reliable.

You guys on the CX bikes are acting as the litmus that we, on our off road bikes, are using to determine whether or not these rotors are going to be useful, as our heat cycles vary greatly.

If they work well for the prolonged high-heat stops that you guys put them through, there is a very good chance we won't be able to heat them up enough to stop properly.
    Very good write up. Thanks for that info.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc280 View Post
    These look very similar. Of course looks don't mean anything and these are for motorcycles. Bedding process is very similar but these require special pads.

AXIS/CMC
    I use Ferodo Racing brake pads on my motorcycle HH+ and they work great on Steel rotors too.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I see Kettle isn't responding to Forum threads anymore. They have not responded to my Ticket I opened with them awhile ago. Has anyone recieved a response from opening a Ticket where they followed the bedding in process and have poor stopping power?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This thread is relevant and interesting: HK - Forums • View topic - Carbon disc brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I received my SFL rotors last week. I ordered the 180/160 combo. They weigh about 40-45% less than the Storm SL rotors they replaced. I mounted them up to my Roval Control SL wheels following their instructions for torque and bolt tightening pattern. The rotors were fairly true with very minimal rubbing that was easily eliminated by adjusting the calipers. I'm running XTR trail brakes with new resin pads. I followed their bed-in instructions. I did about 12 brake burn sessions and noticed them slowly getting better with each run. I ended up doing about 30 runs before hitting the trail. The brake power at this point was about 70% of what I had with Storm rotors.

Once on the trail I really noticed the modulation is way better than the steel rotors (the new Shimano brakes had room for improvement in this area IMO). The first few descents I definitely noticed the lack of full power. That being said, with each descent the power kept getting better and better. By the end of the ride (43 miles with 4K ft of descending) I had about 90% power and had no issues standing the bike up on the front wheel before a tight switchback. I'm going to do a few more rides this week to see how much more power I can get out of them. Even if power doesn't improve too much more, I would recommend them at this early stage ownership. If you do go with these rotors, I recommend spending a couple of hours burning them in and then obviously be careful on the first few descents once on the trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Please give us more updates I received my set but won't have a chance to use them for a few more weeks I'm running the exact same setup as u trail brakes with resins

Quote Originally Posted by Jcjacob21 View Post
    I received my SFL rotors last week. I ordered the 180/160 combo. They weigh about 40-45% less than the Storm SL rotors they replaced. I mounted them up to my Roval Control SL wheels following their instructions for torque and bolt tightening pattern. The rotors were fairly true with very minimal rubbing that was easily eliminated by adjusting the calipers. I'm running XTR trail brakes with new resin pads. I followed their bed-in instructions. I did about 12 brake burn sessions and noticed them slowly getting better with each run. I ended up doing about 30 runs before hitting the trail. The brake power at this point was about 70% of what I had with Storm rotors.

Once on the trail I really noticed the modulation is way better than the steel rotors (the new Shimano brakes had room for improvement in this area IMO). The first few descents I definitely noticed the lack of full power. That being said, with each descent the power kept getting better and better. By the end of the ride (43 miles with 4K ft of descending) I had about 90% power and had no issues standing the bike up on the front wheel before a tight switchback. I'm going to do a few more rides this week to see how much more power I can get out of them. Even if power doesn't improve too much more, I would recommend them at this early stage ownership. If you do go with these rotors, I recommend spending a couple of hours burning them in and then obviously be careful on the first few descents once on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have an update on my buddies SFL...

After 50 miles of breaking in, He and I went down on went on a downhill ride together and chose a spot that we would just brake as hard as we can at the same time.

I'm running XTR race with resin pads and XT ice rotors...he has XX brakes with sintered pads. Before I was leaving him in the dust where I could stop on a dime and he probably another 10 feet after me.

Now after the 50 miles break in period He's able to stop the same distance as me. I feel very encouraged now that the stopping power is there albeit takes such a long time to bed in. Looking forward to my two piece but not looking forward to the long break in period.

Btw I'm running 180/160 and he's running 160/160. So looks promising.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdale View Post
    This thread is relevant and interesting: HK - Forums View topic - Carbon disc brakes
    Yes it is, especially interesting is the post from the forum member who noted significant improvements in braking performance after he milled/machined his own brake pucks/pads out of Carbenix 4000 from Honeywell Aerospace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So, what about noise levels?

Are they silent? What about when wet? I agree that a lighter rotor would be nice, but I'll take a heavier rotor that makes no noise over lightweight squawky rotor any day. Is the carbon fiber rotor the shiznit, or should I keep walking on by?

The quietest, best brake system I have ever ridden was Shimano XT 4 pot calipers on Shimano rotors. The very close second best was the newer Shimano XT BR-M755 brake system with Shimano rotors.

The worst ever have been every Avid disc brake system that ever came on a bike (4 of them) except for the Avid mechanicals.

I currently ride with Formula T1 brakes and Formula one piece rotors. They WERE quiet for a few weeks, but now they sing..Disappointed. I will probably change to either two piece rotors of Shimano discs to try and silence them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I currently ride with Formula T1 brakes and Formula one piece rotors. They WERE quiet for a few weeks, but now they sing..Disappointed. I will probably change to either two piece rotors of Shimano discs to try and silence them.
    I'll save you a few bucks. It's not the rotors. I did hear of some goop you can coat the rotors with that is suppose to quiet them down. If I see it again I will post it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Yes it is, especially interesting is the post from the forum member who noted significant improvements in braking performance after he milled/machined his own brake pucks/pads out of Carbenix 4000 from Honeywell Aerospace.
    If only we had that sort of capability and contacts ....

I can't see Carbenix 4000 being available to the unwashed masses ....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sound like kettle SiCCC rotors need a carbon pad to get it work well...OMG!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    When you think the power is as good as it gets on these rotors you need to swap back to some steel rotors to get a fair comparison. It's easy to think that power has increased through bedding in process when in reality your expectations have dropped as well or you've changed your riding style slightly to compensate for the lack of bite. Switching back to a known powerful rotor will give you something to compare to. Any decrease in braking power over a standard lightweight rotor would be hard to take.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jos3ph4ever View Post
    Sound like kettle SiCCC rotors need a carbon pad to get it work well...OMG!
    The SwissStop pads (green backed) have some kind of carbon/resin base IIRC. I wonder how those would work?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    When you think the power is as good as it gets on these rotors you need to swap back to some steel rotors to get a fair comparison. It's easy to think that power has increased through bedding in process when in reality your expectations have dropped as well or you've changed your riding style slightly to compensate for the lack of bite. Switching back to a known powerful rotor will give you something to compare to. Any decrease in braking power over a standard lightweight rotor would be hard to take.

100% agree. Especially about descreased expectations.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I was sent the wrong sizes, so I can't test yet, although I have some new organic pads ready to go. I can't say I'm hoping for much though.

I'm trying to figure out the testing process at Kettle though. Did they get the same, or close to same power during all their tests? Maybe they happened to use a type of pad that worked particularly well, that none of us have found yet (assuming they didn't use custom SICC pads)? I'm trying to rationalize why they didn't encounter the lack of power.

Has anyone found "near" metal rotor power at this point?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Anyone got their 2 piece rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I was sent the wrong sizes, so I can't test yet, although I have some new organic pads ready to go. I can't say I'm hoping for much though.

I'm trying to figure out the testing process at Kettle though. Did they get the same, or close to same power during all their tests? Maybe they happened to use a type of pad that worked particularly well, that none of us have found yet (assuming they didn't use custom SICC pads)? I'm trying to rationalize why they didn't encounter the lack of power.

Has anyone found "near" metal rotor power at this point?

Just wondering if anybody here ordered the 2 piece, and if you had a chance to test them?
    I'm running out of patience and losing riding time waiting for mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip View Post
    Just wondering if anybody here ordered the 2 piece, and if you had a chance to test them?
    Kettles website showed shipping as "late April" last time I looked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    The SwissStop pads (green backed) have some kind of carbon/resin base IIRC. I wonder how those would work?
    Post #35
    Hi--I'm not a mountain biker, but I registered just to note that I've had these on my cyclocross bike (which I actually use as a winter road bike) for about 2 weeks now with no problems. I have BB7s and Swiss Stop green pads...
    I have SwissStop green on my road bike with steel rotors. I tried a variety of compounds and these were the best do-it-all pad for the way I use them.

I <3 dirt

I ordered them thru kickstarter and there was an update a few weeks ago saying they were shipping the end of march.....I also sent them a message 2 days ago with no response.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    I ordered them thru kickstarter and there was an update a few weeks ago saying they were shipping the end of march.....I also sent them a message 2 days ago with no response.
    I also sent a message but did not get any response.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The deafening silence from Kettle is starting to give this thread a bit of a bad vibe... I was so much hoping these were going to be kickar$e.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    The deafening silence from Kettle is starting to give this thread a bit of a bad vibe... I was so much hoping these were going to be kickar$e.
    Very true Tig, and the fact they are not responding to tickets. I had two bikes of my own and the wifes bike I had planned on setting up with these, but looks like I may have a couple of bookends on my hands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I purchased a couple SFL rotors (160mm and 200mm) on Feb 13th. and received them on Mar 27th. They dropped 9oz, and are very linear, but even after proper bedding in I would guess at 50% the overall stopping force of my Avid HS1 rotors of the same size. I can't lock up the tires if I wanted to. X0 brake calipers w/stock pads.

I <3 dirt

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Very true Tig, and the fact they are not responding to tickets. I had two bikes of my own and the wifes bike I had planned on setting up with these, but looks like I may have a couple of bookends on my hands.
    Here's their response. Also got one thru kickstarter.
    Carbon Brake rotors
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=10296500

mtbr member

The other Carbon brake rotor thread isn't working properly. Here are some online reviews of the Kettle brake rotors linked within it:

"After several more rides topped off with ~53 miles of solo effort at the 6 Hours of Warrior Creek, the brakes are about where they’re likely to stay with the current setup. That is to say about 70% to 80% of the bite/grabbiness of what most of us are used to.

And that’s OK.

Aaron says the idea was to offer consistent braking performance and let the brakes handle the modulation, not the rider. Most of us are used to modulating the brakes and expect to be able to lock ‘em up on demand. Unless I’m riding on peat gravel, there’s just about no way I’m locking up my rear wheel right now. Nose wheelies? Forget it. Instead, I’m grabbing more brake than I’m used to and slowing down slightly less. Oh Sh!t stops are all but impossible.

But, that’s the idea, actually. Aaron says they found that they and others were faster overall and able to maintain traction and control better than if the wheels locked up. My take? I haven’t crashed yet, and I do seem to be letting myself flow through corners faster. At first that was because the brakes simply weren’t slowing me down as much, but as a result I’ve learned to take the corners a bit faster. There have been a few scary higher-speed-than-I-would-have-liked turns, but things worked out fine."
    Bikerumor.com

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/09/...ors-more-news/

"Kettle Cycles has tested its rotors with several brake pads and has recommendations on their website. I mounted the rotors to a bike with Avid BB7’s: one with Avid metallic pads and the other with Avid resin/organic pads. The burn-in process was much faster and smoother with the metallic pads. The resin/organic pads took a long time to burn in evenly and never produced the same stopping power of the metallic pads. Sure enough, the Kettle Cycles website indicated that Avid resin/organic pads will likely need to be replaced with other pads for optimal brake performance with the SiCCC rotors. I swapped the resin/organic pads with KoolStop semi-metallic pads and found them an improvement, but still not stellar.

So far, even after the initial burn in and a couple of days’ riding, I have not yet experienced anything close to the same stopping power of metal rotors. They modulate well, but require significantly more lever pressure to stop with the mechanical disc brake calipers. If you’ve moved to disc brakes for their stopping power (as opposed to mud clearance benefits), you might be disappointed by their initial performance. I also hear more brake squeal than I do with metal rotors in dry conditions, but I have yet to try it in wet conditions. Certainly, these are only my initial impressions after a few weeks of use, and my long-term performance assessment may be different. Perhaps I still need to further burn the rotors in."
    cxmagazine.com

http://www.cxmagazine.com/cyclocross...c-brake-rotors

In the Bikerumor.com comments section there's an interesting comment about using carbon brake rotors with carbon brake pads. Apparently that will improve the brake power but at the cost of increased wear and reduced life on both the rotors and pads.

"The tech they are using is sound. The lack of stopping power with standard metallics is …well expected. By using the new pads they are making will help. But like on like stopping surfaces will produce a much expected shorter lifespan for both interfaces. This will mean many of their claims will be lessened. Still the combo will be lighter, and may be better at heat dissipation. But idk." Ripnshread - 04/10/13 - 3:07am (Bikerumor.com article comments)

●●●●●●●●◌◌

Crud.

Was certain I had read reports that organic pads had solid results.

Ah well, I'll continue with my new (organic) pads and report back. I think we all want these to succeed in the long run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Watching the ongoing developments closely, esp with the Carbenix pads

Thanks for the inf0

mtbr member
    why isn't this thread merged with the other Carbon rotors thread?

I have changed my opinion of the rotors after playing around with the reach adjustment on my XT brakes. I was just about to give upon them and go back to steel, but now that I have adjusted the levers much further out than I would normally run, I am able to stay on the trail without freeking myself out or crashing. They still require much more squeeze force than steel and hand fatigue is an issue, but much-much better than before.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ca...823378-14.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
    I am able to stay on the trail without freeking myself out or crashing.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ca...823378-14.html
    Oh, well in that case, sign me up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah the resin XTR pads don't bite like metal on steel rotors. I don't have any modulation issues with metal on steel. How would metal pads work with these rotors? The Kettle website indicates that they tried numerous pads and with Shimano they recommended the resin. Why? I wonder if the lack of bite is really just the resin pads. Will metal pads wear the rotor faster? Will they bite even less?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Anyone got their 2 piece rotors yet?

Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Yeah the resin XTR pads don't bite like metal on steel rotors. I don't have any modulation issues with metal on steel. How would metal pads work with these rotors? The Kettle website indicates that they tried numerous pads and with Shimano they recommended the resin. Why? I wonder if the lack of bite is really just the resin pads. Will metal pads wear the rotor faster? Will they bite even less?
    Has anyone received their 2 piece? I'm getting a little antsy since Kettle had been silence again! It's starting to get hard to get a hold of customer service, and online questions are not being answered. Sent to tickets... No response....booo!!! I know they said that mid week of this month, but have they resolved the issues with the molds from the vendor??? Because last time I heard, that's what's keeping them behind. So now were almost in the middle of the month, any progress? Oops, nobody will know since they're not responding

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone received their 2 piece? I'm getting a little antsy since Kettle had been silence again! It's starting to get hard to get a hold of customer service, and online questions are not being answered. Sent to tickets... No response....booo!!! I know they said that mid week of this month, but have they resolved the issues with the molds from the vendor??? Because last time I heard, that's what's keeping them behind. So now were almost in the middle of the month, any progress? Oops, nobody will know since they're not responding
    As Aaron mentioned before, we simply do not have the manpower to operate the shop and pour through forums looking for questions to resolve. If you wish to contact kettle cycles please use the ticket system in place on the website buykettlecycles.com

Currently there are no open tickets in our system, bayareflip have you received any response to your ticket? if you had and again replied via email then no one received your response because all communication on a ticket must take place in the system not via email reply.

For those wondering how to create and reply to a ticket:

Create, or log into, an account on buykettlecycles.com. Click 'My Account' in the upper right hand side of the screen. On the left hand side of the screen under the quick links header click 'Customer Support' which will open a window to create a ticket.

When a ticket is replied to, you will receive an email with a text copy of the reply and a link to the ticket. If you wish to reply to the ticket you must click the link and complete the reply in the browser form. Direct replies in the email are not received.

I know this is not ideal but it is how the system currently works. steps are being taken with the vendor to address this shortcoming.

If you would prefer to speak to someone in person our telephone number is (262) 672-2453. If you dont get an answer, please be patient and call back again later. leaving concise messages are helpful to us when we cannot reach the phone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tequeman View Post
    As Aaron mentioned before, we simply do not have the manpower to operate the shop and pour through forums looking for questions to resolve. If you wish to contact kettle cycles please use the ticket system in place on the website buykettlecycles.com

Currently there are no open tickets in our system, bayareflip have you received any response to your ticket? if you had and again replied via email then no one received your response because all communication on a ticket must take place in the system not via email reply.

For those wondering how to create and reply to a ticket:

Create, or log into, an account on buykettlecycles.com. Click 'My Account' in the upper right hand side of the screen. On the left hand side of the screen under the quick links header click 'Customer Support' which will open a window to create a ticket.

When a ticket is replied to, you will receive an email with a text copy of the reply and a link to the ticket. If you wish to reply to the ticket you must click the link and complete the reply in the browser form. Direct replies in the email are not received.

I know this is not ideal but it is how the system currently works. steps are being taken with the vendor to address this shortcoming.

If you would prefer to speak to someone in person our telephone number is (262) 672-2453. If you dont get an answer, please be patient and call back again later. leaving concise messages are helpful to us when we cannot reach the phone.
    So does this mean we're going to get our rotors soon, as promised "middle of this month?" Thanks

Ninja Master Powers
    I take it a lot of people on MTBR are 9 - 5rs and have little or no experience with start ups.

I've done 4 tech start ups working on my 5th; taken them from idea to acquisition. Just completed the first round of funding, released our beta and starting our next round of funding.

With each step the work load increases, I'm lucky now to a couple short rides in on a weekend; most I don't.

It's exhilarating, humbling and at times (a lot of times) draining.

When he says they are trying as hard as they can to prioritize time I'm sure that's a understatement. You might think about giving them a break from the bashing on their CS and be thankful they are in this business and trying to innovate.

Think about it when was the last time you saw any true innovation from one of the big companies in the industry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    I take it a lot of people on MTBR are 9 - 5rs and have little or no experience with start ups.

I've done 4 tech start ups working on my 5th; taken them from idea to acquisition. Just completed the first round of funding, released our beta and starting our next round of funding.

With each step the work load increases, I'm lucky now to a couple short rides in on a weekend; most I don't.

It's exhilarating, humbling and at times (a lot of times) draining.

When he says they are trying as hard as they can to prioritize time I'm sure that's a understatement. You might think about giving them a break from the bashing on their CS and be thankful they are in this business and trying to innovate.

Think about it when was the last time you saw any true innovation from one of the big companies in the industry?
    Wow! Really..."9 to 5ers"?Ok,Mr. Big shot! All I wanted to know is if there is a new shipping schedule, or if they would deliver on time. As a paying consumer, all I want to know is if I will be getting my order on the promise date. I don't care how you run a business, I just want my product. That's wrong for you to assume that the people in this forum are just a bunch of "9 to 5ers". Who knows, I could be one of the investors in your company...just sayin....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks to Mr. Magura, I was able to borrow one of his Kettle rotors to use on my commuter bike for a week.

My main reason for considering the carbon ones was to get rid of squeeking brakes. People tend to turn their heads, whenever I would brake, which I (and they probably as well), find annoying.

In this regard, the Kettles delivered.

Regarding brake power, they where not much worse than my Shimano M445 hydraulic brakes. I had to pull the lever a little harder, and they maybe had a little less power, but nothing I couldn't live with. During the break in period, I found them to be a little unpredictable, but probably not something that persists.

In the same week, I tried a Specialied Epic with complete XTR brakes, which was something of an eye opener.
    I would rate the stopping power of that as a 10.
    The M445 would be a 5, the Kettle a 4.5, and a Specialized Venge I also tried with carbon rims and rim brakes I would rate a 1.

So it is not the worst I have ever tried

SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-dsc02728.jpg

SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-dsc02729-1024x768-.jpg

SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-dsc02732-1024x768-.jpg

SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-dsc02736-1024x768-.jpg

My conclusion is, they do not deliver ultimate stopping power, but it was nothing I couldn't live with on all my bikes, be it mountain bike or road.

But because of the recent price hike, I'm hesitating ordering 3 pairs, and might wait untill they have carbon pads as well, making it a more ultimate solution, and worth the higher cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SiCCC Carbon Rotors User Review-dsc02731.jpg  

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    As follow up, I've installed my front rotor (rear is en route), so I'm running the SICC on the front, and a Magura Storm SL (standard metal) on the rear. Didn't realize organic pads weren't necessarily ideal, but in any event I did the burn in with a new set of Alligator organics.

After burning in by the book, stopping power is fine so far, but the trails are still super-muddy here, so I can't do a real-world test just yet. I should probably wait to add the rear rotor anyway.

One disappointment though, is that I am getting "turkey gobble" or "honking" from the front brake with XTRs. Not sure if resin pads would be better in that respect, so I'll have to test I suppose.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Interesting development. Here's a snippet of a Kickstarter mail I received:

"We've since shipped our SiCCC rotors all over the world and a vast majority of customers enjoy their SiCCC rotors and the riding experience that comes with it. But there are those, for whom the experience is too much of a departure from the norm. At the same time we always wanted to simplify the adaptation and make sure our product appeals to as many riders out there as possible.

We are therefore going forward with implementing C-Processing in house. This results in a more plug and play rotor which is easier to bed in and provides very consistent results for a wide variety of riders. The finished SiCCC rotor becomes more dense and stiff, but it requires standard Resin/Organic or SiCCC pads and delivers a consistent bite at the end stroke with a small reduction in modulation. Under general terms, this is a much closer to a more traditional grabby, power rotor. It will NOT work with sintered, metal, kevlar or unknown pads. C-Processed rotors' complete dislike of all other pads is we moved away from it during development.

We are offering to C-Process any current SiCCC SFL rotor, free of charge, for anyone preferring a more traditional bite/power feel. All two piece rotors for kickstarter rewards, like all rotors being made from now on, will be shipping C-processed for simplicity and continuity."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    We have moved SiCCC rotor production to a more traditional bite and feel. Here is the condensed version:

1. IF you like your original SFL rotor, do nothing.
    2. IF you want more traditional grab/feel, follow the C- processing instructions and use resin/organics.
    3. IF you want excessive grab, follow the C-processing instructions and use SiCCC pads.
    4. IF you are waiting for 2 piece rotors, your SiCCC friction ring is already C-Processed and you should use a Organic / Resin pads that have not been used on steel. Or you have the option of buying SiCCC pads, but you should really try them first on a standard orgainic/resin.
    5. All future two piece and SFL SiCCC rotors will be C-processed, and only factory race teams etc can get any other processing.
    6. All C-Processed rotors have a serial number starting with a C.

Instructions how to get a rotor re-worked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Interesting developments. Makes me more interested again.

Will wait a little though to see what the feedback is on the C processed (what is that for normal people ?) rotors and SiCCC pads.

Any idea on what the SiCCC pads cost is ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wink Siccc pads are available in their website

Interesting developments. Makes me more interested again.

Will wait a little though to see what the feedback is on the C processed (what is that for normal people ?) rotors and SiCCC pads.

Any idea on what the SiCCC pads cost is ?
    Pricing for pads is available on their website. I have some brand new Magura Marta Sl's with organic pads. According to Kettle, they should be perfect! I will post a review once I get my 2 piece. I was told that they are "rolling out" of production

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah, just saw that on the site (USD $35 for the std SiCCC and $40 odd for the "Extreme !!!).

Trouble is they don't list pads yet for my calipers, but I am sure that they'll come eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, just saw that on the site (USD $35 for the std SiCCC and $40 odd for the "Extreme !!!).

Trouble is they don't list pads yet for my calipers, but I am sure that they'll come eventually.

They will be "made to order", per Kettle Cycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just thought I'd add this feedback from a mate that put on a 180mm SFL disc on to his MTB (not a C-processed one)

I put the 180 on the mountain bike and put it through its paces on the weekend. It didn't need much of a bedding in process before i was getting as much bite as i get with a steel rotor. It has a better feel than steel though before that bite point. It feels as hard as steel, but perhaps it is the lack of perforations in the braking track that makes it feel smoother. I did a 45km 1500m climb up and down mt nebo with some very fast long descents with hairpin turns that you need to wash off speed urgently.

I am leaving it on for the trip to mt buller starting thursday. I am very impressed that they feel so good, not noisy at all, without having changed pads (using xtr finned icetech resin pads).
    Seems he's pretty happy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cancelled order

They will be "made to order", per Kettle Cycle
    Cancelled my order after another BS!
    They had stretched out their ETA so far of the original release, and I ran out of patience. Last call I had, I was told that they should be ready by mid April. Called them a few days ago, and was told that it would now be mid May release! Really? No announcement whatsoever?
    I'm done! Back to more reliable steel rotors

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How did you cancel? I was told since I was a backer via kickstarter that I couldn't cancel. Definitely want to cancel my order as well since it was promised to be delivered in April.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I Just called them and expressed my disappointment.
    I actually talked to the CFO

mtbr member
    Any updates on C processed rotors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxtc View Post
    How did you cancel? I was told since I was a backer via kickstarter that I couldn't cancel. Definitely want to cancel my order as well since it was promised to be delivered in April.
    Easy to cancel - contact your credit card company, and get them to reverse the charges.

●●●●●●●●◌◌

I may have inadvertently found the perfect combo.

I'm waiting for my rear rotor as there was a mixup with my order. So, I'm running a 160mm carbon up front and a 140 metal (Magura Storm SL) on the rear.

Here's what I'm getting:
    -half the weight of a metal rotor up front
    -nice modulation on the front brake, which is the key one
    -extra grab from the metal on the rear for "oh shit!" stops

This has turned out perfectly for me for XC. I may retain this hybrid solution even when the rear carbon rotor shows up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anything on the 2 piece rotors, any reviews, or everyone are still waiting for them? I heard they keep on moving their shipment every week to the following weeks...wow!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2