mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Should the rear brake be able to lock up?

I changed the rear rotor from an 203 to a 160. I was having a hawling noise and changing the rotor fixed the noise brake (Avid Juicy).

However I lost brake power. Before I was able to lock the wheel with the rear brake, now I have better modulation but I am not able to lock the wheel.

Should I be concerned? Should the rear brake be able to lock the wheel?

mtbr member
    I think so because even on my Tektro Io mechanical disc brakes, they lock up well even though they arent the best brakes out there.Go to your LBS "Local bike store" to see why they don't lock.

Hope it helps!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    did you put new pads in? If not, that could help. The old pads were bed into the old rotor. I may take a while for them old one to bed into the new rotor. You can take the pads out, sand them with the sand paper on the table and do a figure 8. Then, turn 180 deg and repeat. Then, repeat once more. Light pressure is all that is needed.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Bedding the pads

I will give it a try. I will sand the pads to see if that improves the brake power
    thanks

bi-winning
    Yup, the old pad just need a little time to get friendly with the new rotor.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cabu8803
    I will give it a try. I will sand the pads to see if that improves the brake power
    thanks

Sanding them will make them "like new". So, you will still have to bed them in. Just get somewhere, spin up to 15 mph, pull the brake with med pressure until you almost stop. Repeat 20 times. You will notice the power increase from the first run to the last.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Alien Surf Team
    Going to a smaller rotor results in less torque so you're going to need to apply more force to get the bike stopped. The 160mm will have Approx 79% the stopping force of the 203mm given all other things equal. (F*80mm) / (F*101.5mm). However, I can lockup both the back and front (scary) with BB5s and 160 rotors. When they're adjusted correctly of course... which seems to be a huge pain lately but that's a different story.

Members who have read this thread: 0