SHIMANO XT M8000 on my new Intense Tracer - NOT happy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

SHIMANO XT M8000 on my new Intense Tracer - NOT happy

Evening all,

I just picked up my new Tracer today. It has the Deore XT M8000 brakes installed. Now I know that there is a break in period to get the stopper power where I want it, but the free play adjustment(phillips screw) is all the way in and I STILL have like an 1" before the rod begins to push the piston for the master cylinder. Is it possible these brakes were not bled properly at the LBS where I picked up or is this normal? I want my brakes hitting just about when I touch the levers. I do NOT want to have to pull the lever an inch before the wheel starts to stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Shimano brakes on my 2003 Rockhopper put these to shame. And they are stock and nothing special. Almost 20 years later and this is what I get?

Please help.

Sid

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    It is possible, take it back to the shop you bought it, or purchase the shimano bleed kit and give it a go.

mtbr member
    If the levers are firm, it's not a bleed problem. Free travel is a normal part of the design of mtb hydro brakes. It's necessary to ensure the pads move sufficiently away from the rotor when the lever is released and the transfer port between the reservoir and lever piston opens. The free travel screw will adjust this, but only to a degree.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Like Lone Rager said, I think its pretty normal/common to have some lever travel before engagement of the pads.

I know that all of the disk brakes I've ever ridden have had "about" that amount of lever travel (including my brand new TRP Quadiems, all the way down to my wifes entry level shimano brakes, and all my previous bikes with hydraulic brakes).

I just rode my first pair of XT brakes this last weekend at a demo day. I can't recall exactly (as I wasn't focused on it), but I seem to recall at least 3/4" of lever travel before the pads engaged.

If the levers don't feel mushy, I'd personally be ok with it.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden a bike with hydraulic brakes (or any kind for that matter) that would engage immediately on lever pressure. I think there is a thread about Maguras where people said there is almost no clearance between the pads and rotors. Maybe that's what you need.

mtbr member
    An inch sounds like too much free-stroke. Measure it accurately, then contact your shop and ask them what can be done to address the matter.

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by cityjackit View Post
    Evening all,

I just picked up my new Tracer today. It has the Deore XT M8000 brakes installed. Now I know that there is a break in period to get the stopper power where I want it, but the free play adjustment(phillips screw) is all the way in and I STILL have like an 1" before the rod begins to push the piston for the master cylinder. Is it possible these brakes were not bled properly at the LBS where I picked up or is this normal? I want my brakes hitting just about when I touch the levers. I do NOT want to have to pull the lever an inch before the wheel starts to stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Shimano brakes on my 2003 Rockhopper put these to shame. And they are stock and nothing special. Almost 20 years later and this is what I get?

Please help.

Sid
    If I was a betting man, I would put money on you have air trapped in the levers. Properly bleed the system (use Shimano's process) and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Pull wheel off, rotor out of caliper, squeeze the levers fully once or twice, it'll bring your pistons further in. Put wheel in realign caliper, repeat if you need to move in more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk