Shimano XT M775 vs SLX M665 Brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Shimano XT M775 vs SLX M665 Brakes

Plan to get XT M775 or SLX M665 Brakes either one, what is the different between XT M775 and SLX M665? Thanks so much!

g3h6o3
    From what I've read they are roughly equivalent.

But you should know that the XT lineup will be refreshed in 2012 and my bet is they'll adopt the new XTR design. I just bought some XT RT76 rotors for my BB7 and I plan on getting the 78X line of XT brakes next year. You mgiht consider waiting for lower prices or for newer design.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have both the XT and SLX and they are both great. The XTs are nice manufacturing but they feel the same as my SLX. and I havnt had to bleed either in over a year now adn they both work quietly and are strong. Take note Avid.

Underskilled
    bikeradar has a thorough review including the important dyno tests, go look it up.
    I think they recommended one particular Deore model over both the XT and SLX.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    The differences that I know of are: 1. XT has free stroke adjustment, SLX does not. (free stroke is basically adjusting the position the lever starts to do work/brake) 2. XT caliper has a bolt to fasten the pads, SLX has a cotter pin. 3. XT is black and silver, SLX is all black. The shifter difference is XT has a metal thumb shifter and SLX is plastic.

Performance wise they are the basically the same.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    SLX caliper is two halves bolted together and is heavier, XT is one piece. Levers look basically the same, i don't think the bite point adjustment on the XT does much, so don't let that sway you. XT look nicer and i can vouch for their performance- very impressive with 203/180 setup.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Does the SLX have the Servo Wave? If not I would get the XTs if it does get the SLX and save some coin.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, SLX Levers have servo wave.

Regarding the 2 piece caliper vs mono body caliper, this only effect the weight and aesthetics, performance wise there isn't a big difference.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    whatever you decide, make sure you use the sintered pads. They usually last me more than a full season and have solid grip. I feel like I need a kung fu grip with the organic pads and they get burned out quickly.

Members who have read this thread: 0