Shimano xt 785 brakes + Jagwire Hyflow problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Shimano xt 785 brakes + Jagwire Hyflow problems

hi all,

I've had problems with my xt 785 RH brake for approximately 6 months and believe it to be the jagwire hyflow hoses that are causing it--wanted to see if any other experiences are out there with these issues:

In September / 2013, the local LBS changed the hose on my rear brake to Jagwire hyflow (because the silver look great!!) and left the front brake with the stock shimano pre-bled hose (I was trying to get the bike ready asap for a 5 day trip in Bend, OR).. However, the LBS was not able to get the brake lever to ramp up due to some troubles on their end. I took it to another LBS and they bled the rear brake, and it worked great for a week. But after a week it started to fade and I noticed it faded to the bar when the bike was in the stand and tilted approx 45 degrees down (which I believe was from an improper bleed job), so I took it back and they re-bled it the day before my excursion. I rode it hard for approx. 150 miles at the beginning of the trip in Bend and everything worked perfectly, then all of a sudden no brakes (to the bar) for the last 10 miles of a ride.

I stopped by an LBS in Bend (shout out to Pine Mountain Sports) to get the lever fixed. The mechanic, Joel, believed that the shimano lever was leaking between the top and bottom halves at the seal. He did not think it was the hose or caliper. I wanted to put a new system in because I had a few more days of riding left and was tired with the problems, so I originally purchased a new xt 785 from Pine Mountain, but it was the wrong color (I have silver xt and it was black) so I decided to wait. The shout out to Pine Mountain comes into play because Joel hooked me up with a “lender” rear Avid brake to finish out my trip and I mailed it back to them when I returned home—he also stayed late to make sure I was hooked up. Top notch service for an out of towner!!

Anyway, I finished the trip with the Avid brake and upon returning home, I purchased a new RH shimano lever and bled the brake myself. The brake worked well for a month and I thought the problems were resolved. However, it started to act up again and fade, ramp up, etc. and felt like air in the line and a need for a new brake bleed. Obviously, the new lever was getting the same poor results and I determined it was not the lever.

Keep in mind that my LH brake has been FLAWLESS with the stock shimano hose. So at this point, I’m ordering shimano hose to try and fix the rear brake (it clearly is not the lever), and will report how it goes..Sorry for the length of this post, but thus far I’ve had 3 different LBS unable to get things bled right or diagnosed and in retrospect should have tried the hose first….I do hope the hose fixes things but also wondering if anyone else has had problems with hyflow hose and shimano xt’s?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have Jagwire hoses on my XTR (985) brakes and i think i have the "ramp-up" issue you are describing. When i squeeze my brake once it feels fine, but if i squeeze it again rapidly the lever hardly moves. I have bled, and bled, and bled (and i've had good luck bleeding lots of other systems)....

If you switch back to a Shimano hose i'm curious whether it fixes your problem. I can't imagine what the issue could be with the Jagwire hoses.

Bro Mountainbiker

Shimano xt 785 brakes + Jagwire Hyflow problems

The Shimano XT brake uses(and requires IMO) a BH-90 high powered hose.
    Trade that Jag for a OEM hose and I bet your issues go away.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

Thanks, I've got the Shimano hose ordered and hooked up, but need more mineral oil....on order now and I'll post results once bled...

RIP Friendgirl
    My money's on the banjo fitting. If the jagwire fitting is the same for the new shimano as the old, there design doesn't seem as robust as an OEM. Never trusted the washers w/rubber skirt design of there banjo.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Hmmm....interesting problem. Might you be suggesting that the Jag is 'ballooning' or expanding and thus giving the false indication of introduced air?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordershy View Post
    My money's on the banjo fitting. If the jagwire fitting is the same for the new shimano as the old, there design doesn't seem as robust as an OEM. Never trusted the washers w/rubber skirt design of there banjo.
    That was the problem i originally had with my Jagwire hoses. I wrote them to tell them about an improvement i made to the washers (cutting out 4 small sections of the skirt), and they told me i had an old design. They then sent me their updated banjo fittings free of charge which are just like the Shimano banjo fittings.

My "pump up" issue got better after that, but it has never really gone away.

For that matter, this may be the problem that OP is having, and it may be solved by writing to Jagwire. They have been an excellent company to deal with.

RIP Friendgirl
    If shimano has the bugs worked out on there new hoses, i feel most people would be better served to keep the oem's. If you really must have bling hoses, invest in Goodridge. It's a superior product in design & function.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok. I got the Shimano OEM's installed and bled and ridden. So far no problems and I will report after getting a number of hours on the system.

One general observation:

The feel at the lever is not as smooth as the Jagwire hose. In fact, when I first had the XT brakes and was running different hoses front and back, the Jagwire hose felt like it had more modulation while the Shimano felt more on/off. (So much so, that my racing buddy thought something was wrong with my left, shimano hose, lever--he runs the xtr985 races which do not have servo wave---and complained of the on/off feeling of left lever (shimano) and preferred the feel of the right hand lever (jagwire). Indeed, when it worked (big caveat) it felt like it had more modulation but I didn't attribute that to the hoses at the time....

Right now, and I think this is a positive sign that the hose is causing the issues since the newly installed right brake shimano hose feels identical to the left brake at the lever (ie., more on/off feeling with less modulation). So the feel at the lever may be indicative of the hose / banjo working appropriately.

So, I'll give it a whirl and report back if anything changes....While I have no negative agenda in this for Jagwire, I have had failure of the system a number of times and had a number of bike shops get it wrong (so its not just me). For me, the brake feel is not the issue as much as multiple failures for the brake to perform properly (or ramp up / down at odd times). In fact, recently I went down on a ride, got up dusted off and back on the bike, and the brake went to the bar with the Jagwire hose....in the process of limping back to the car with front brake only I went down again and this time I dusted off and the Jagwire brake worked fine again (perfectly in fact). That was the final straw for me and I ordered the shimano hose---

I'll let everyone know if it holds up over time, but for now, I believe it will based on the lever feel.....

mtbr member
    I have M615 with Jagwire Mountain Pro & they work flawlessly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano xt 785 brakes + Jagwire Hyflow problems-dsc01809.jpg  

Shimano xt 785 brakes + Jagwire Hyflow problems-dsc01698.jpg  

2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Any updates copylatte? I'm having exactly the same issues as you described.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainturion View Post
    Any updates copylatte? I'm having exactly the same issues as you described.

After changing hoses back to Shimano, everything is ACE. No problems so far and continuing to ride strong. I'm around 100+ miles on it and it is performing flawlessly. At this point, I'm thinking the hoses were the cause of my issues.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi All

I was just about to order Jag when mtbr came with warning - i live those colors but if effectiveness of braking is going to decrease than i'll go with (boring black) shimano.
    Anyone can confirm Hyflow are now redesigned and working same as Shimano ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yep, they work just fine.