Shimano XT 775 and Winter- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    720

    Shimano XT 775 and Winter

    Right now I'm shopping for parts for the Niner Jet9 that just arrived. I found a good deal on XT 775's and everything looked good until I saw a review saying that they don't work at less than 40 degrees! Has anyone else had this problem. I ride all winter in New York and I get out early while the trails are still frozen, riding when it's between 0 and 32 degrees.
    I've been using BB7's for the past two years on my EMD9 with no problems, but I'm trying to save some weight and get the Jet to come in under 25 lbs. If the 775's are a problem in cold weather, what would you recommend for $200 or less front and rear..
    60; it's the new 40!

  2. #2
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,277
    If your worried about cold weather, there are 2 things you can do.

    Nothing and like it. Sorry just kidding.


    Pick a brake that uses DOT 5.1 brake fluid like Hope/Avid, etc, or stick with the BB7's

  3. #3
    Soft AND Tender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    143
    Unfortunately I have experienced the poor cold weather performance of xt brakes. I love the way they work in spring, summer and fall. In winter they just suck in the cold. I actually swap them out for bb7's in winter and then switch back to the xt's in spring.

    I have no experience with other hydros in winter so can offer no advice there, sorry.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,153
    I used to have them and they do in fact suck in the cold. Not sure they resolved that or not. It is probably the mineral oil.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,654
    I'm riding saint's and it's no issue at all.....

    "It looks flexy"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,153
    Maybe it's been addressed? I may be venturing back to Shimano brakes on my new HiFi. The new XTR's look awesome.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,287
    My XTRs sucked in the cold (2007), but it was a run of them that were shite; they changed the seals or something for about 6 months then switched back ... my replacement ones worked amicably down to -20C -ish ... coldest I probably rode them in. the mineral oil isn't the problem, and it's likely the newer Shimano stuff doesn't do this (as gticlay above me says there are no issues with his Saint)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    My XTRs sucked in the cold (2007), but it was a run of them that were shite; they changed the seals or something for about 6 months then switched back ... my replacement ones worked amicably down to -20C -ish ... coldest I probably rode them in. the mineral oil isn't the problem, and it's likely the newer Shimano stuff doesn't do this (as gticlay above me says there are no issues with his Saint)
    Awesome thanks

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    416
    I rode this AM in the low 20's in southern NH with XT 775 brakes and they performed flawlessly. Two others in my group also have the same brakes. Just about everyone had some frozen derailleur cable issues, however...

    Fred

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    720
    How about SLX? anyone using those this winter? Any problems?

    It looks like they are pretty close to the XT, much better price, will they get me through the winter?
    60; it's the new 40!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    407
    Rode Sunday am early, it was in the twenties and my XT;s worked perfect. They are new, so it may be an addressed issue.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    489
    I have 2008 XTs and they do suck in he cold. The issue is in the seals in the caliper, however, Shimano got it solved, so new versions do not suffer from cold wether.

    Pitty that they did not offer some kind of replacement offer for us that bought the early versions.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarsandtears
    Rode Sunday am early, it was in the twenties and my XT;s worked perfect. They are new, so it may be an addressed issue.
    Mine behave very well too in the cold, they are only a few months old. It was more along the lines of 30ish when I rode here but my bikes sleep in an unheated detached garage it's been dipping into the 20's at night (wth California?).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tinshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo
    I have 2008 XTs and they do suck in he cold. The issue is in the seals in the caliper, however, Shimano got it solved, so new versions do not suffer from cold wether.

    Pitty that they did not offer some kind of replacement offer for us that bought the early versions.
    I had a 2008 Yeti with the same issue. My lbs called Shimano and they promptly replaced both calipers and levers under warranty. I didn't have a chance to try them in the cold again before selling the bike.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo
    I have 2008 XTs and they do suck in he cold. The issue is in the seals in the caliper, however, Shimano got it solved, so new versions do not suffer from cold wether.

    Pitty that they did not offer some kind of replacement offer for us that bought the early versions.
    I have the 08 XT's and they're terrible in the cold. If the issue is with the calipers then presumably I can replace the calipers with the current ones and my problems will be solved? Can I leave the levers as is and not replace them?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,654
    Quote Originally Posted by MonmouthRider
    I have the 08 XT's and they're terrible in the cold. If the issue is with the calipers then presumably I can replace the calipers with the current ones and my problems will be solved? Can I leave the levers as is and not replace them?
    I think Shimano will rebuild them for free if you have that issue. Something about a bad run of seals.
    "It looks flexy"

  17. #17
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,591
    I think they preform pretty well in that range, it's at about 10* that they start to have problems. Unless you live in Alaska you should be fine.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    84
    Since we are on the topic of winter weather, which brake pads work best in the winter?

    I am running EBC red right now, but thinking maybe going to Gold (sintered)

  19. #19
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by cbratt
    Unfortunately I have experienced the poor cold weather performance of xt brakes. I love the way they work in spring, summer and fall. In winter they just suck in the cold. I actually swap them out for bb7's in winter and then switch back to the xt's in spring.

    I have no experience with other hydros in winter so can offer no advice there, sorry.

    +1

  20. #20
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by MonmouthRider
    I have the 08 XT's and they're terrible in the cold. If the issue is with the calipers then presumably I can replace the calipers with the current ones and my problems will be solved? Can I leave the levers as is and not replace them?

    I believe xts have a 2 year warranty and xtr 3 years

    I have had 3 xtr calipers replaced because of the issue
    the seal gets stiff in the cold allowing fluid to seep and contaminate the pads & rotor
    sometimes you can burn off the pads but they're never the same, rotors need to be cleaned with alcohol or Naptha and then sanded

    I was out this weekend with the replacement xtrs and didnt have any issues, but my old ones didnt leak right away either. If the new ones start leaking I've picked up 2 complete sets of BB7s with levers and cables for $60 a set

  21. #21
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered
    Since we are on the topic of winter weather, which brake pads work best in the winter?

    I am running EBC red right now, but thinking maybe going to Gold (sintered)
    I havent had any problems with organic, I cant get any sintered pads that dont squeel on my xtrs

  22. #22
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab
    I think they preform pretty well in that range, it's at about 10* that they start to have problems. Unless you live in Alaska you should be fine.
    10 degrees isnt unusual in NH
    but I think you're right. when it gets down into that range is when I've encountered problems. Thats why I bought the BB7s, no seals, no fluid , just got to keep the cables dry & lubed.
    I'll post again if the newer xtrs (2010) leak

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    84
    dan i really don't care if my brakes squeal or not. I get complaints from customers over chain, road and wind noise on their bikes so bike noises don't bother me.

    oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I have M775 brakes when they first came out and well, they suck in the winter time.

  24. #24
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by nitropowered
    dan i really don't care if my brakes squeal or not. I get complaints from customers over chain, road and wind noise on their bikes so bike noises don't bother me.

    .
    well, then the sintered pads wont bother you

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.