mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Shimano XT 08 calipers - Hope rotors

I rebuilding my Nicolai Helius CC with new forks (Manitou Minute Absolute MRD) and need new caliper at the front for the post mount. On adding up (I'm in New Zealand) there is a great local deal on the 08 XT brakes. They don't come with rotors, so I intend to use my current Hope floating sawtooth rotors, the front of which is 183mm, rear is 160mm.

Has anyone done this?
    If so what adapters did you use to squeeze out the extra 1.5 mm radius clearance at the front?
    Do you find they clear the calipers okay on yours or need you have to do some filing?

I am looking at using Avid 185mm adapters at the front - the rear should be fine with the supplied 160mm.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well I run a hope floating on the front with my 4 pot xts with no trouble at all. Unsure ofhow other sizes will work but mines been very good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    NZSpokes, what size rotors are you running?

I'm happy with the rear as my wife's bike has the '06 XT calipers and the 160mm fits fine. The 183mm on the front rubs the caliper at the edge of the rotor (as you may imagine) due to the larger rotor.

Also it looks like I'd have to file the adapter a bit to avoid the rivets on the rotor. Hence the idea of using the Avid adapter. They are thinner than the Shimanos and are for 185mm rotors. The only worry would be that the caliper overhangs the rotor track by a millimeter.

Dunno - I guess I might just try it. If it doesn't fly I'll get some plain 180mm rotors. Burkes Cycles might be doing well out of me this weekend...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ok, what you need is a plus 20mm adaptor. Burkes should have one of these. Once you have that it sould all fit fine as long as the rotor claers the fork which can be an issue with hope rotors and manitous.

Im running 203 with adaptors to suit.

Meh.
    You can sandwich a spacer between the adapter and the caliper or adapter and PM to make room for a larger rotor.

Members who have read this thread: 0