mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Shimano mineral oil and Formula brakes

I would like to bleed my Formula the one brakes - does anyone know if Shimano oil works together with them?

I am thinking about buying this oil from Chainreactioncycles

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite
    I would like to bleed my Formula the one brakes - does anyone know if Shimano oil works together with them?

I am thinking about buying this oil from Chainreactioncycles
    Do you know how to bleed your brakes? Have you read the instructions on how to bleed your brakes? Are you aware of the fact that your brakes are made to use DOT4 brake fluid ONLY?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Are you aware of the fact that your brakes are made to use DOT4 brake fluid ONLY?
    they can use DOT 5.1 too.... but yeah..no go with mineral oil..totally incompatible with the seals on formula brakes...

mtbr member
    Try this kit.

Don't go near them with mineral oil, DOT 4 or 5.1 is what they need.
    Stay off the brakes

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    they can use DOT 5.1 too.... but yeah..no go with mineral oil..totally incompatible with the seals on formula brakes...

In some not all situations you can interchange Dot 5.1 and 4 if the brake is designed to work with both. If it is not then it can drasticly change the way the brake feels. Avid Code brakes are a prime example of this, a customer brought his brakes in for a bleed and I couldn't get a decent feel with 5.1. Talked to Avid and found out that Code brakes while they can take 5.1 work and feel A LOT better with DOT4.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for all the answers and nope - I dont know how to bleed brakes - a friend of mine is going to do it for me. I will look for some DOT 4 or 5.1 :-)

Thanks for all the answers and nope - I dont know how to bleed brakes - a friend of mine is going to do it for me. I will look for some DOT 4 or 5.1 :-)
    Not to be a jerk, but does your friend know what he is doing (it is easy to screw up and leave air in the line)? Also unless you plan on flushing the brake system, stick with DOT4, it is cheaper, easier to find (auto parts store), and Formula specificaly says DOT4 with no mention of 5.1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Not to be a jerk, but does your friend know what he is doing (it is easy to screw up and leave air in the line)? Also unless you plan on flushing the brake system, stick with DOT4, it is cheaper, easier to find (auto parts store), and Formula specificaly says DOT4 with no mention of 5.1.
    No problem and thanks for the advice :-) My friend has tried it some times but I am considering trying to get a professional mechanic to do it since I just want it fixed ASAP. It is quite annoying that I have bought some quite expensive brakes which I have bleed already. I never touched my old Juicys the four years I had them.

If I decide to bleed them is it possible to use the Avide bleeding kit instead of the Formula kit?

mtbr member
    No problem and thanks for the advice :-) My friend has tried it some times but I am considering trying to get a professional mechanic to do it since I just want it fixed ASAP. It is quite annoying that I have bought some quite expensive brakes which I have bleed already. I never touched my old Juicys the four years I had them.

If I decide to bleed them is it possible to use the Avide bleeding kit instead of the Formula kit?
    The Avid kit works fine. I used one on my Ones.

Edit: the one caveat is I'm not sure if the Avid hose fittings are cross compatable. If you're shortening the hoses, you should get Formula fittings to be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You might check out my post related to formula brakes in the tooltime thread, "sticky brakes".

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=419816

Be careful bleeding the brakes without proper instruction. There is a process to get them dialed in and possibly prevent damage to the diaphragm up by the lever.

Members who have read this thread: 3