Shimano m666 brake rotor upgrade. Can I run larger rotors?- Mtbr.com
    MTBer

Shimano m666 brake rotor upgrade. Can I run larger rotors?

Hello MTB'rs,

I just got myself a 2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite. Upgraded from a Hardtail, and what a difference!

The bike came with shimano m666 brakes stock. They need replacements soon but I was wondering If I could possibly run bigger rotors? I was looking at shimano's Icetech rotors and they came in a variety of sizes. My question is, can I run lets say 180mm or 200mm rotors on these calipers? Do I need some sort of adapter? I know stocks are 160mm.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes, you can use any size rotor on that particular caliper. If you get a larger rotor you're going to need the appropriately sized adapter. Remember that the adapters are often front or rear specific.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get new brake pads and a bleed while you're at it.

MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    Yes, you can use any size rotor on that particular caliper. If you get a larger rotor you're going to need the appropriately sized adapter. Remember that the adapters are often front or rear specific.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get new brake pads and a bleed while you're at it.
    Thanks for your response! So I can go up to 200mm rotors? And are the adapters model specific (eg. M666) ? Sorry for all the questions, fairly new to all this.
    2013 Airborne Goblin
    2012 Trek RumbleFish Elite

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahrain View Post
    Thanks for your response! So I can go up to 200mm rotors? And are the adapters model specific (eg. M666) ? Sorry for all the questions, fairly new to all this.
    I think the common size is 203mm (8in). But yes, as long as you get 203mm front and rear rotors with 203mm front and rear adapters you will be fine.

Adapters aren't model specific but I've had to do a little extra work (shimming) to get other brand adapters to work correctly with differ brand calipers (e.g shimano adapter, juicy 7 brake), ymmv with this.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Looks like the bike would have post mounts on the fork and IS mounts on the frame.

Front
    180mm rotor = SM-MA-F180P/P2 adapter
    203mm rotor = SM-MA-F203P/P adapter

Rear
    180mm rotor = SM-MA-R180P/S adapter
    203mm rotor = SM-MA-R203P/S adapter