Shimano M575 Hose Replacement- Mtbr.com
    Everything/Nothing
    Apr 2011

Shimano M575 Hose Replacement

Hi. I broke a lever on my Shimano M575. Got a replacement and now I can't get the hose out of the broken lever/reservoir body. Is it threaded our do you just have to pull really hard?

By the way, these brakes are the jankiest of jank. I don't even have a string of curse words that describe my distaste for them.

Thanks!

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternSlopeExile
    Hi. I broke a lever on my Shimano M575. Got a replacement and now I can't get the hose out of the broken lever/reservoir body. Is it threaded our do you just have to pull really hard?

By the way, these brakes are the jankiest of jank. I don't even have a string of curse words that describe my distaste for them.

Thanks!
    If it's the straight connector, there is a threaded outer collar that compresses a brass olive inside. Unscrew the collar and the line should just pop out. You'll have to cut the old olive and hose off and replace it with a new olive and barb. I've re-used barbs before, but I would't do that on somebody else's bike. If you're super careful with a sharp knife, you can cut the old barb out of the old bit of hose. Watch your fingers! Yowch!!

Read the directions and you'll see how it goes together. Basically, that collar crushes the olive and clamps the hose between the olive and the barb.

I dunno... I've always liked Shimano brakes. My wife's bike has Deore hydraulics, and my bikes have XTs, XTRs, and Hone (same as LX, pretty much).

Everything/Nothing
    Apr 2011
    Thanks Pimpbot! I should have put in my original post that pulled off the dust cap and unscrewed the collar, expecting the hose to come right out (like with Saint and XT). I can see the hose go into the body and inside the lever/reservoir body, but I can't get it to pull out. I can't figure out if it's press-fit on and is in there really tight, or what. If worst comes to worst I can just cut the hose above the olive, install a new olive, and put on the new lever assembly - but I'm trying to preserve some hose length.

Shimano makes a great brake with the XT, XTR, and Saint. No doubt about it. This M575 is not one of their brighter shining stars.

Members who have read this thread: 0