shimano m486 vs. avid juicy 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

shimano m486 vs. avid juicy 3

got a new giant anthem x3 and am happy with the whole bike except for the m486 brakes i have bleed them a bunch and the fronts got alot better but the rears just don't seem to want to firm up and on multiple downhills the rears have come all they way to my fingers. downhills are not that steep or extended so i shouldn't have brake fade. i have bleed them 4 times now and they just don't seem to get better... i ahve another bike with juicy 3's and they feel way better and work way better. is it just me or is the juicy three a way better brake. also which one weighs more, trying to keep the weight down on the bike a bit and would hate to put a heavier brake system on. or does anyone have a trick to getting the rear brake to bleed better?

thanks,
    adam

Never trust a fart
    There has been an issue with the 486's leaking around the bleed port. The first few brake applications its ok, but the bleed port sucks in air, causing a soft lever. A call to Shimano via your LBS will yield you a new pair.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Apologies if I'm wrong... If I'm not mistaken, the one's with the leak problem is 485, hence Shimano came out with 486 series?

For better bite, best to use metallic pads. But your's sounds more like air problem?

Never trust a fart
    The 485's did have the problem, but the 486's have been known to leak as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The 485's did have the problem, but the 486's have been known to leak as well.
    I see, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am going to bleed them some more.. I will try taking the caliper off and taping it. Two more tries and if it doesn't work I am getting the juicy 3.5's

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Try bleeding from the caliper up. Put oil in syringe, put syringe on nipple, open nipple, push syringe and oil comes out reservoir. This way if there is any air, it will go up with the oil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Any ideas how to make oil not go all over my garage floor I am guessing the reservoir is going to fill up in a quick second

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Another syringe to suck out the excess in the reservoir maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer
    Another syringe to suck out the excess in the reservoir maybe?
    ^This. It's easier if you have another person or three hands.

Members who have read this thread: 0