Shimano Disc Brake Hose Compatibility- Mtbr.com
    Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Shimano Disc Brake Hose Compatibility

Question for the Shimano brake experts out there:

I've got an old set of M765 disc brakes (silver color). The calipers and levers are in great shape but the hoses not so much. I'm having a tough time finding the old BH63 hose in the lengths that I need.

Does anyone know if I can use the new Shimano Stuff? BH90? Also is there anything special I need to consider with the inserts and olives?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ratman; 10-12-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    BH90 should do it - but NOT this (no banjo bolt):
    Shimano BH90-SS Brake Hose > Components > Brakes > MTB Disc Brakes | Jenson USA

These guys supposedly stock them...
    Shimano BH63 1700mm Brake Hose Kit Black

Also Shimano olives and fittings are universal within Shimano. They are, however, not the same to other brands.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Thanks!!
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    Also Shimano olives and fittings are universal within Shimano.
    The barbed inserts are not universal. The newer Shimano hose has a smaller internal diameter so uses a narrower barb. The outer diameter of the hose is the same so the olives etc still fit.

So the BH90 is a narrower tube than the BH63 but it'll still fit and work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I actually just learned this at the LBS today and was going to correct myself. They called it a high compression model, interesting. Thanks Mr. Pig for a PSA.

mtbr member
    It would be easy to get the barbs mixed up. If you've been trying to inset the barb all day and getting nowhere You've maybe got an old-style barb and a new hose ;0)

The narrow ones are aluminium and the bigger ones brass. The colour is the best way to tell them apart as other than that they look very similar. The size difference is slight so unless you have the two size by side you wouldn't know which was bigger.

Ridin bikes is fun
    I just went though the same thing. I ended up getting a Jagwire universal kit for my second hand XTR trail breaks, it worked out great. I searched for a week and everyone kept telling me they were out of stock. Good luck.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav View Post
    I ended up getting a Jagwire universal kit for my second hand XTR trail breaks, it worked out great.
    It's just hydraulic hose so in theory if the dimensions are the same it should work. The only potential problem I can see is if the internal diameter of the new hose is greater than the one you are replacing. If you fit a wider pipe of the new Shimano brakes that use the new, narrower brake lines there's a chance they won't work as well as they should.

mtbr member
    I used Jagwire Hy-Flow on my M785's and it's been working great so far. I have 6 rides on them since the swap. Back when I had the stock BH90 lines I pressed in a normal barb and it worked fine as well, luck of the draw I guess lol

INRI
    Sep 2014
    seems the older brake hoses are for shorter travel forks? not sure, however I had the same problem, same brake, and one one of my current bikes.I ordered two rear brake hoses, problem solved.So you need the 1700mm rear hose.I am assuming you are having problems with the front brake hose being too short? and that you have a 26" bike you may have better luck with the OEM part.And ditto on the barbs or the hose will leak.Universal Cycles -- Shimano SM-BH63 Hose Kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chubmackerel View Post
    seems the older brake hoses are for shorter travel forks?
    Na, what difference would that make? The different hoses are just for different designs of lever and calliper, different pressures and flow-rates etc.

INRI
    Sep 2014
    It was too short to reach caliper by just a small amount,other wise it would have been fine.The parts I used were all the same year.So I am just saying the newer model brakes are not an issue, the hoses are plenty long.Those 765s are way old....2004.Riser bars may be an issue to the added to my problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just to visualize what Mr. Pig is talking about - silver one is a newer one, having much larger hole at the end.

Shimano Disc Brake Hose Compatibility-20141019_205028712_ios.jpg

Shimano Disc Brake Hose Compatibility-20141019_205055145_ios.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So, not counting the fittings and end pieces, what is the difference in all brands of hoses? Hayes, sram etc.
    I too am looking for a longer hose, but just need the hose, not fittings which seem to jack the price way up.
    What hoses are compatible?
    I have sram and hayes btw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Some has reported spongy lever with a combination of Shimano + Jagwire. I would stick with the same manufacturers if I were you. Olives are not reusable, so you'll have to get specific olives (and insert if you don't recycle it) for $3 or so.