Shimano Deore brake power loss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shimano Deore brake power loss

Hey there. I have a bike with stock Shimano Deore 6" hydros stock. When I wore out the rear pads, I replaced them with Shimano brand replacements. Shortly after the change, the rear brakes lost power. I cleaned the disk and toasted the pads in case it was oil contamination. The brakes functioned well again for a day or so. I repeated the process using more heat toasting the pads the second time in case my heat gun wasn't powerful enough to clean up the pads. the brakes worked well again for about 3 days. Now I'm back to the same squealing, low power rear brake.

I inspected the rear caliper and there didn't appear to be any oil leaking from the pistons or hoses that could account for this. This is my commuter and its getting stale - I like to be able to stop. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try cleaning up the rotor with some fine grit sand paper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Try cleaning up the rotor with some fine grit sand paper.
    Thansk Jeff, I'll give that a try. I assume a wet/dry automotive type sandpaper would be best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI guys, I was in the lbs buying some spokes and talked to the mechanic about this issue. Apparently Shimano has had some problems with oil leakage from the pistons on some of their Deore hydros. They set me up with a replacement rear brake under warranty. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FYI guys, I was in the lbs buying some spokes and talked to the mechanic about this issue. Apparently Shimano has had some problems with oil leakage from the pistons on some of their Deore hydros. They set me up with a replacement rear brake under warranty. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great bags.. really beautiful..I'm very interested! I would love to find out more.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Try sanding the pads (not the rotor), and use Isopropyl alcohol to help clean it, or you can also use Automotive disc brake cleaner (Some brake producer don't recommend the last one).. It work good on cleaning the rotor too.

And finally, don't pour or spray the cleaner while the pad and rotor is still in the bike.. These cleaner tend to dissolve paint.

mtbr member
    The oil leak was predominant in the Deore or non-component M485's. If they are m525 or M535, they are a step above the 4 series and had no wide-spread leaks i'm aware of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adriel
    Try sanding the pads (not the rotor), and use Isopropyl alcohol to help clean it, or you can also use Automotive disc brake cleaner (Some brake producer don't recommend the last one).. It work good on cleaning the rotor too.

And finally, don't pour or spray the cleaner while the pad and rotor is still in the bike.. These cleaner tend to dissolve paint.
    once pads are contaminated, they are trash
    applying brake clean, alcohol or anything else may work for a day or so, but oil penetrates through the microscopic pours in the pad material and can not be salvaged
    Racerick
    "The older I get, the faster I was"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    The oil leak was predominant in the Deore or non-component M485's. If they are m525 or M535, they are a step above the 4 series and had no wide-spread leaks i'm aware of.
    mine were 5 series.

I've had good luck rescuing brake pads by "toasting" them on my gas range. Particularly the mettalic pads. These Deore's use non-mettalic so I was wondering if that was part of the issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0