Shimano Deore BR-M486 vs Juicy 5 for 200lb rider- Mtbr.com
    WNC Native

Shimano Deore BR-M486 vs Juicy 5 for 200lb rider

I have some Shimano Deore BR-M486 brakes that I picked up to go on my HT. Are these brakes strong enough for a 200lb aggressive XC rider? Or would I be better off to sell them and pick up some Juicy 5s or 7s?

I'm looking for a reliable set of brakes, with little to no headache setting up. I've always ran BB7's on all my bikes, but I've decided to give Hydro's another chance.

Are there any other rotors that I could upgrade to that would make the M486's stronger?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    bigger rotors, different compound pad could both make your brakes more powerful

mtbr member
    With all my gear on I'm about 200 lbs and I'm using Juicy 3's with metallic pads and I have no problems. 210 F and 183 R for rotors.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    bigger rotors, different compound pad could both make your brakes more powerful
    See, from what I've seen it's not quite that easy. I want to hear from someone that has upgrade size or different rotors with the M486s. I saw several people say that even the XT rotors didn't work with these brakes due to the difference in thickness of the rotors? And the original 160mm rotors specify only resin pads.

I know the rotor switching is easier with the Juicys. However, I already have these new in hand.

BTW- I will not buy Juicy 3s. Only 5s or higher if it comes to purchasing another setup. Wish I had the cash to spring for some Elixir CRs, however that isn't the case at the moment.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had alot of experience with the Shimano 486 Hydros, their power is good if you switch them over to metallic pads but personally I just do not like their build quality and the lever engagement (even after a couple of bleeds). I would try to get a set of elixers for XC duties or some of those shimano xt br765 that are on clearance everywhere.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

Members who have read this thread: 0