Shimano Deore 555s - One piston or two?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano Deore 555s - One piston or two?

I got the feeling today that my front hydraulic shimano deore 555 was not as powerful as usual and that the lever needed pressing alot more to achieve a result. I was looking at the brake pads whilst pressing the lever and noticed that only one of the brake pads was moving toward the disc. So.. either this is normal and this brake system works on a single piston kinda deal or else i've located my problem which is that one of the two pistons isn't working.
    What do people think?
    Cheers.

err, 27.5+
    There are 2 pistons. Depending on how you have the caliper positioned over the rotor only one pad may be moving perceptibly. Or you may have a sticky piston. Just pull the pads and pump the pistons out a little (carefull not to pump them out of the caliper). You can then lube the pistons with a little oil and then work them in and out a bit until it feels less sticky. There are more involved fixes, but this works most of the time

mtbr member
    Cheers man but I'm a bit new to this game to be pumping pistons outta calipers or any such jazz so I reckon it's LBS time!

Members who have read this thread: 0