Shimano brakes and "old" Grip Shift- Mtbr.com
    aka Willy Vanilly

New question here. Shimano brakes and "old" Grip Shift

Anyone have any experience with Shimano XT's paired with old (non uber-expensive) SRAM Grip Shift? Wondering about the length of the levers and whether or not I'd be able to reach them from the grips (I cut my grips so that my entire palm fits on it and I have to shift my hands onto the grip shifters).

Did a quick search but no luck finding relevant threads. Thanks.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    It can be an issue, especially with some early generations of shimano v-brake levers. Depends on your levers really. Not hard to mount 'em up & check

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you are referring to the new xt's combined with 8/9 speed twisters, yeah they are short. I've used that combo for a year and became accustomed to reaching over to brake. I now have gone w/ Hayes Prime which feel much better w/ GS.
    There is longer lever option for the 785's also

aka Willy Vanilly
    Guess I should have been more specific and said XT hydraulic disc brake levers. Thanks for the info rjedoaks. Sounds like I'll be sticking with my Elixirs for now.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Members who have read this thread: 0