• 05-22-2012
    Rudy102
    Shimano brake rotor question
    I currently have Shimano M445 hydraulic brakes. The rotors that come with these brakes are RT-51 Centrelock. I got new wheels for my bike (stans Arch) and now I have to swap the rotors for 6 bolt type. My question is are my current brakes ( below) COMPATIBLE with
    Shimano XT Brake Rotor SM-RT76M ( 2 below)

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830747469.pdf

Shimano Brake Rotor SM-RT76M 180mm 6-Bolt w/ Mounting Bolts and Plates Slvr Blk | eBay

all info welcome thanks.
  • 05-22-2012
    StiHacka
    Yes they are as long as you get the right size. Are you sure you have 180mm rotors and not 160mm ones?
    Btw. you are about to get expensive high end ice tech rotors. There may be good cheaper options such as Shimano SM-RT51 6-bolt Disc Brake Rotor 160mm 160 mm | eBay
  • 05-22-2012
    Rudy102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Yes they are as long as you get the right size. Are you sure you have 180mm rotors and not 160mm ones?
    Btw. you are about to get expensive high end ice tech rotors. There may be good cheaper options such as Shimano SM-RT51 6-bolt Disc Brake Rotor 160mm 160 mm | eBay

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/e...ale-29-team-m/

The front is 180mm and the rear is 160mm. Those are the sizes I would get. I know that there is cheaper alternatives but wouldn't it be better to get XT rotors now and upgrade the brake is a year or so to XT or SLX ? What do you think?
  • 05-22-2012
    Rudy102
    The difference in price is like $20-25 per rotor
  • 05-22-2012
    StiHacka
    That really depends on your personal preference and it mostly depends on what you need from your brakes. I have a cheap 180mm Avid CS2 rotor with a 2012 XT caliper in the front and this combo works just fine for me, but I do not ride long steep downhills. Why do you want to upgrade your brakes?
  • 05-22-2012
    Rudy102
    Don't get me wrong these brakes are great, but I figure that if your going to upgrade you might as well upgrade for the better :). I don't think that I'm going notice any difference other than a few grams in weight. I would probably notice a difference if I swapped calipers for XT. What do you think?
  • 05-22-2012
    StiHacka
    I think that you are about to succumb to Sirens of the never-ending upgrades disorder that got many of us here. :rolleyes: I am afraid I cannot get you a clear cut reason to get the ice techs, but if you feel like having them would be cool, there is no stopping you anyway. ;)
  • 05-22-2012
    Rudy102
    You may be right ..... but i figure different. I remember riding my first mountain bike that was a boat anchor from your local department store. Although this bike was chosen by me i never seen it more then just basic transportation. For you see I couldn't drive.
    Years went by and once I got my licence I said good bye to my boat anchor for ever.
    It was 15 years later that i discovered MTB ing again. It all started with looking for a bike just to bike around my local park. This time i went straight to LBS were I sent a 3 figure budget ....which quickly turned into a 4 figure budget. Although I didn't send a fortune ( Scott Scale 29 Team 2011) i picked a bike that i didn't want to give back to my LBS. And thats when it all began. I bike religiously a few times a week and love every minute, i feel much better and i'm getting much more toned the more biking i do. Since I work at an office and sit on my ass all day, this is the best fun exercise for me. Now I figure.... everytime i have to upgrade something on my bike i will do it to improve it......to make it better, lighter, funner ect. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe i'm just throwing my money away but if i have a hobby that keeps me in shame , while testing my limits ( and in some situations ... my sanity ..... double black diamond ..... "bring it on" LOL ) Then I think its worth it. But that's just my 2 cents :thumbsup:
  • 05-23-2012
    mmountainbiker
    Shimano SM-RT51 6-bolt Disc Brake Rotor 160mm 160 mm | eBay
    THOSE ARE FUGGING UGLY. I can see why he wants the XT's. My so called riding buddies always got some smart ass comment when I buy something more expensive than nessesary.
    I dont ride with the haterz anymore. Get the XT's and dont look back. But there may be differences in the width of the ice tech and the rotors that came with your brakes