Shimano?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shimano?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Shimano?

I was thinking about switching to shimano deore hydros after an LBS recommended them to me. The shimano website isn't very good at explaining stuff, so have some questions.

Version - is there much of a difference between deore/lx/xt/xtr? They all look similar. I know saints are a little different

How adjustable are they? I don't need super precise modulation, but is there some kind of contact point adjustment or something like that?

Can any of the non-saints be adapted to 203mm/8inch rotors? If so would they offer better braking power than say, hayes nine?

General Durability/Maintainance - I know mineral oil is easier to deal with than DOT and the bleed kit is pretty cheap, do they last?

Meh.
    You can adjust reach, and that's it.

You can use any rotor size with the appropriate adapter.

Braking power is better than the Nines. Nines (IMO) are garbage. Poor quality and no modulation.

Mineral oil and DOT fluid? Both are easy to deal with. DOT fluid is easier to find. DOT fluid is hygroscopic though, and you really should flush it out every so often. Mineral oil has a lower boiling point. More prone to fade.

Deore and LX (Hone) are bolted calipers. They are flexier than the XT/Saint/XTR. Those three are a monobody construction. Modulation on all the brakes is good. Power from the Deore is decent, but because of the flex in the caliper body, they are not as strong as the XTs. I'm not sure about the bolted calipers, but I know that the monobody calipers have to be sent back to Shimano for rebuilds or servicing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks! You really know your ****

I also noticed I could pick up some juicy 5's for around the same price as the XT's. Which would you go for?

mtbr member
    Personally I'd go for the xts. I use/have used deore/xt and xtr brakes from the shimano line, they have all been great. The xts are probably best bang for the buck.

Meh.
    Eh, it's kind of a toss up. J5s take a little bit more initial setup. But I'm really really happy with the performance of my J7s. The XTs are good brakes though. I think that when set up properly, both brakes are similar in performance and power.

Members who have read this thread: 0