Severe Jittering When Braking?: Avid Jucy 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Listen! Severe Jittering When Braking?: Avid Jucy 3

Hey
    I just got a used Yeti 575. When the shop gave it to me, they said they had just replaced the front rotor. It is a Avid Juicy Three and the pads have some cuts and scars but plenty of braking surface. After using the front brake for 5 or 10 minutes, the front brake will then, any time I apply it, start vibrating and shaking the whole front fork. It also makes a bad squealing sound and some sounds that sound like loud "plops" while applying the brakes. This has been about a month now and i don''t know what is causing the front brake to act like this.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it is probably the rotor... there are several threads on the subject, just do a search... some people had the pads contacts the "arms" of the rotor and needed to space the caliper a bit, on others a change of pads/rotor fixed it...

sorry I can't be more specific..

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    If the vibration is strong enough to take the whole fork, then I would suspect that the pads are touching the rotor arms. Is the rotor made by Avid? Are the pads seated correctly, and are you using the correct adapter on the caliper?
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Meh.
    Bad rotor, something on the braking track, something embedded in the pads, pads grabbing at rotor arms, pads wearing unevenly, improperly torqued hardware, loose hubs, etc.

mtbr member

Listen! Reversed Rotor ok?

Ok, so out of curiosity i switched the direction of the front rotor, and all the noise and the jittering stopped. It has the same stopping power and seems to work ok. I don't know how or why the noise stopped from those Avid rotors, but it did. My concern now it that the rotor is on backwards, should i have any worry about rotor falure or fatigue by running this brake rotor in reverse?

Meh.
    Letters on the rotor should be facing away from the hub.

Running the rotor backwards is no good. When they were facing forward, the arms were under compression while braking, that's what they were designed for.

Members who have read this thread: 0