Seal or Bleed Problem?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Seal or Bleed Problem?

I recently received '05 Magura Julie brakes with a frame I bought, that I later found (quite curiously) to have too short of a hose for the rear brake. When replacing the hose we used Magura hose and the guy that did it is Magura certified.

I got the brake back and the lever had terrible feel and was really soft. There are times that I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar and still don't have full power. When the rear is at its best it is way softer than the matching front brake and at its worst it is dangerous with how little power I get. When I took them back to the shop they said it must be a problem with the o-rings. I am researching buying a new brake now as a new lever is going to end up being as much as a new brake system.

My question is whether my problem is definitely the seals, if it is a problem with the bleed, or if something else might be wrong. I am pretty confident in the abilities of the guy that did it but just want to check before I drop some more money on a new brake.

AZ
    banned
    I would rebleed before I dropped any coin on new brakes . Just sayin .

mtbr member
    Rebleed, if it isn't leaking it might not be a seal.
    milesW

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The only thing is that I keep throwing money into a 5 year old brake. If I could rebleed myself I would but Magura brakes are not the easiest. Does anyone else have any ideas on the cause of the problem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would re-bleed. If that cures the "soft" lever feel but the braking is still below normal, clean the rotor and replace the pads. You never know what the last guy may have got on the pads.

mtbr member
    You can buy a bleed kit, it comes with detailed instructions. 30 bucks on ebay.
    milesW

I think I need to Upgrade
    If the lever feel was good/firm before the hose was changed then I am going to lean very hard on the fact that there is air in the system and that can be fixed by re-bleeding the brake.

How long ago was the brake line replaced? if it was a short time ago then the shop needs to re-bleed it for you, if they won't then it is time to dump that shop and find another. I use to be a mechanic for a shop and if someone came back in after I bled the brakes on their bike and the levers were squishy then I would re-bleed then no charge and that is what any shop should do. It is very possible to bleed a brake and not get all of the air the first time around it happens and they should fix/re-bleed it.

Members who have read this thread: 0