Screaming rotors, look overheated and "blued", is this curable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Screaming rotors, look overheated and "blued", is this curable?

After a long, steep, paved downhill (over 1000' vert at over 10%), I was noticing some brake fade and loss of power. I stopped and the rotors were extremely hot and when they cooled off, they had a "blued" look to them, like they were heat treated. Since then, they are very loud whenever I use them.

Is it possible to apply this much force to heat them like that, to the point where they become hardened? I weigh 200 lbs, and ride a 29er with 180mm Formula K24 rotors. I also run metallic pads, but those are new and should be in perfect shape.

Should I step up to a 203mm rotor? Is this overkill? I ride Park City and regularly have downhills over over a half an hour. Is there any downside to a 203 rotor?

Also, are my current ones ruined?

AZ
    banned
    If your bike will support larger brakes upgrade . Your rotors are "toast" . What kind of brakes do you have , what kind of fork ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have Formula Oro K24 brakes on a Reba SL 29er fork. I'm pretty sure it will support 203's. Any downsides to a larger rotor? I think I weigh enough that they won't feel grabby.

I had no idea that you could torch rotors. I always assumed that the pads went first.

AZ
    banned
    The downside to a bigger rotor is weight , the plus is you might be able to stop . It is entirely plausible to over heat the rotors .

turtles make me hot
    Go for the 203's. I have them on a Reba.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire_1985
    After a long, steep, paved downhill (over 1000' vert at over 10%), I was noticing some brake fade and loss of power. I stopped and the rotors were extremely hot and when they cooled off, they had a "blued" look to them, like they were heat treated. Since then, they are very loud whenever I use them.

Is it possible to apply this much force to heat them like that, to the point where they become hardened? I weigh 200 lbs, and ride a 29er with 180mm Formula K24 rotors. I also run metallic pads, but those are new and should be in perfect shape.Ha you can cook a pad on one descent

Should I step up to a 203mm rotor? Is this overkill? I ride Park City and regularly have downhills over over a half an hour. Is there any downside to a 203 rotor?

Also, are my current ones ruined?

No they are not ruined, I have done this many times....

you may have to take some fine grain sand paper hold it between your fingers and pinch the rotor and spin the wheel....this will smooth the rotor...

You might have to also just sand the pads a touch as well....well if you have any pads left.

I regularly toasted my 160 rotors, no I have 203 in the front and no problems.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    If your bike will support larger brakes upgrade . Your rotors are "toast" . What kind of brakes do you have , what kind of fork ?

Total BS rotors just need a light sanding and they are fine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have Formula Oro K24 brakes on a Reba SL 29er fork. I'm pretty sure it will support 203's. Any downsides to a larger rotor? I think I weigh enough that they won't feel grabby.

I had no idea that you could torch rotors. I always assumed that the pads went first.

Also learn to brake with short stabs that will help reduce rotor temperature as compared to feathering the brakes...

203 won't feel grabby.you won't need as much lever force of course for the same braking....they will make any play in the fork bushings seem alot more noticable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

update

Just sanded the rotors and pads with 250 grit sandpaper and all of my problems are cured. Went pretty aggressive with it. Rode 65 miles on Sunday with no issues.

mtbr member
    Just sanded the rotors and pads with 250 grit sandpaper and all of my problems are cured. Went pretty aggressive with it. Rode 65 miles on Sunday with no issues.
    Yup - the advice that your rotors were toast was provided by someone that was probably drinking at the time

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Just glazed....
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    quagmire i had the same thing happened to me about 3 weeks back.the rotors are just cooked but you canstill use 'em.the only problem i had was that i broke something in the internal assembly of my avid and i had to retur it to the avid distributor to have it fixed....then sold the avids and bought me a new set of brakes...

Members who have read this thread: 0