Saint M810s- Mtbr.com

Thread: Saint M810s

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Saint M810s

Hi guys,
    Recently I've just bought a set of the Saint M810 4pot brakes, and at the same time bought some 6bolt 8inch XT RT75 rotors to use with them. I bought the brakes because of the stunning reviews they get, however after a full day or 2's use shuttling dh tracks, the brakes are VERY loud in long steep sections that require a fair bit of moderate to heavy braking, and I mean loud. I also have a feeling the power is slightly lacking as even riding around on the street, I can wrench down on the front back and will only be able to initiate a endo (actually not even a endo, a stoppie, as I don't feel they would even be able to throw me over the bars) if I put all my weight to the front of the bike, so much to the front that its unnatural. I've tried boiling, and butane torching the pads to get rid of any possible contaminants, and sanding the pads after but that hasnt helped. Also tried using the older style juicy octagon rotors, no real improvement either. Any ideas? Much appreciated
    Cheers,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    May 2009
    re-adjust them, clean the rotors with alcohol, and torch the pads again

and den?
    Oct 2008
    Something is definitely wrong with your brakes if you're having trouble sending yourself OTB with them - mine can tip me on my head literally using my pinky finger. I've had mine make some loud groaning noises at apparently random intervals (seems to be only when they get pretty hot, but even then not always) but the power has always been phenomenal.

Did you buy the brakes new or used? I've tried pretty well everything when it comes to cleaning contaminated pads, from cleaning with alcohol, soaking in acetone, white spirits, boiling them, burning them, etc etc, and it never really works. If your pads are contaminated (entirely possible if they were 2nd hand, unlikely if they were brand new unless you or whoever installed them spilled oil on the pads or rotors) then unfortunately they're a bin job. I've had good results from removing the rotors and throwing them in the dishwasher, then putting em back on with new pads. If that doesn't work then I'm at a loss to explain why your brakes aren't working properly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    did you bleed them with the pads on?
    if so, you probably got oil on them and the pads are trash now.
    either way, get a new set of pads, unfortunately, they are $50
    Racerick
    "The older I get, the faster I was"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i dunno why MTBers have such an adversion to automotive brake cleaner... use it on the pads, spray them, soak them, and spray them again. then let them dry. only use it on the rotors if you remove them, it has a tendancy to strip paint.

DO NOT use autozone brand, use Brake Kleen brand, it works a thousand times better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys, sorry about my late reply haha didn't get much of a chance to get on the PC over the last few days.
    I bought the brakes brand new, and bought the rotors brand new at the same time. They should have had enough time to bed in as I've had 3 full days of shuttled DH riding, plus a few other rides. Definitely made sure no oil came into contact during installation, but its possible some could have got on off someones bike on the shuttle trucks.
    I've dropped it into my LBS as I can't figure it out and I don't really have the time to try every possibility, so I'll see if they can figure it out, I hope they can! I'm really looking forward to having a brake with phenomenal stopping power like these are said to have. Again thanks for the help guys, I'll post back once I get them back from the shop

mtbr member
    Maybe the pads are glazed. I'd give them a sand with fine emery paper.

mtbr member
    sandpaper + brake cleaner the pads and the rotors

you should be able to launch yourself into orbit with 1 finger

mine make a ton of noise if I get them really really hot but go back to squeal-free after returning to normal operating temps
    -MitchB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy233
    Hi guys,
    Recently I've just bought a set of the Saint M810 4pot brakes, and at the same time bought some 6bolt 8inch XT RT75 rotors to use with them. I bought the brakes because of the stunning reviews they get, however after a full day or 2's use shuttling dh tracks, the brakes are VERY loud in long steep sections that require a fair bit of moderate to heavy braking, and I mean loud. I also have a feeling the power is slightly lacking as even riding around on the street, I can wrench down on the front back and will only be able to initiate a endo (actually not even a endo, a stoppie, as I don't feel they would even be able to throw me over the bars) if I put all my weight to the front of the bike, so much to the front that its unnatural. I've tried boiling, and butane torching the pads to get rid of any possible contaminants, and sanding the pads after but that hasnt helped. Also tried using the older style juicy octagon rotors, no real improvement either. Any ideas? Much appreciated
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Mine work to perfection........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saint M810s-sc-bullit-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    i dunno why MTBers have such an adversion to automotive brake cleaner... use it on the pads, spray them, soak them, and spray them again. then let them dry. only use it on the rotors if you remove them, it has a tendancy to strip paint.

DO NOT use autozone brand, use Brake Kleen brand, it works a thousand times better.
    pads contaminated with brake fluid can not be cleaned, no matter what is used. the fluid penetrates below the surface through microscopic pours, therefore need to be sh*t - canned and replaced
    Racerick

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hmm well I got them back from the shop, nothing wrong with the bleed on them, no bubbles or anything so thats fine. He gave the rotors a clean like I had but that didn't really improve anything so he though that yeah, possibly the pads have been contaminated. Keep in mind these are brand new brakes and rotors, so I don't know where it could have happened but its possible.
    I think I'll have to look at getting some new pads, I quite like the idea of getting some Vesrah pads but theres such a limited range out there for the M810 saints. Swissstop pads are a possibility, but I've been reading about people using pads from a different model of brake, such as Hope Mono M4 pads - anyone know anything about this? Apparently they are the same shape as the saint 4pot pads and they do look it, you just have to file off the tabs. That would make Vesrah pads possible. Much appreciated
    Cheers,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah, you've pretty much narrowed it down to contaminated pads. Replace the pads and clean the rotors again, when i change pads i give my rotors an uber-cleaning.

I first slather them in dawn dishsoap, get some hot water on them and scrub the sh*t out of them with scotch-brite. Then i put them in soapy water and scuff them up with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Then they get a good rinse and dry followed by a washing with brake-kleen. Only then do i consider them worthy to be re-installed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    in another thread in this forum a poster mentioned superstar in the uk
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...products_id=28
    they have pads for saint 810, in three compounds even and much cheaper even. im gonna get a set of the kevlars and see how they perform

ive got to think once you have a clean rotor and fresh pads, you'll be fine
    good luck with your dilemma
    Racerick

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm a cheapazz and have always been able to save pads comtaminated with dot 5.1. I usually try cleaning them first with automotive brake cleaner, then burn them over the stove or with a propane torch. You will see the pad flare up momentarily as the crap burns off and then settle down. Sand the resulting glaze off the pads and be sure to clean the rotors too.

Stock m810 pads seem to take a long time to bed in, like old skool hopes, so give it a few days of riding before you pass judgement.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Stock m810 pads seem to take a long time to bed in, like old skool hopes, so give it a few days of riding before you pass judgement.
    Exactly. You need to properly bed the pads in. And if you started riding really fast stuff right away its possible you glazed the pads, which kinda ruins them.

Every disc braking system out there needs a bed in period for the pads, including car brakes.

loneryda
    Sep 2009
    How have you bedded them in? I got a set and I bed them by riding them wet. Get a water bottle and ride down a hill- keep your pads and rotor wet and brake at about %80 sqeeze of the levers . I've done this with every brake set I've owned including my 810's. Usually do it about 30 times and do the wholething 2 or 3 time over 2 or 3 days. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    When I first installed them from brand new, I rode them around on the street outside my place for a bit, picking up speed, coming to a halt etc. Took them to a fairly steep 10second road nearby and dragged them down that once or twice. How long would the rest of you bed in pads for? And what do you do when doing it?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't mean to be a pain or anything, but just received my new pads in the mail, so if anyone has any other suggestions on how to properly bed in pads would be much appreciated. As I would like to do it right lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy233
    Don't mean to be a pain or anything, but just received my new pads in the mail, so if anyone has any other suggestions on how to properly bed in pads would be much appreciated. As I would like to do it right lol
    The general rule is roll with speed and brake hard, repeatedly. This allows a 'cool' off period to prevent glazing and promote bedding. As a short cut method I used to 'drag' the brakes to get them super hot, but if not done right you can glaze them (just sand and start over).

Now a days I just ride. If I feel i am dragging the brakes too much I will stop part way down the hill to let them cool and then go again after a few minutes.

Bruh
    Clean your rotors with rubbing alcohol or brake parts cleaner, let it dry, and install the new pads. Adjust them properly.

Take the bike out, and do a series of high-speed stops without putting yourself over the bars. 5-7 should do it. Just let the brakes cool between cycles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the replies, do stock saint pads take a little longer though as per a couple of posts above?

loneryda
    Sep 2009
    What I do is a similar thing but at %80 and I do it until the pads stop squealing. That's why it takes a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well just thought I'd update everyone, gave the rotors an epic cleaning and then installed the new pads, bedded them in using techniques everyone had suggested, once they had bedded in pwoar!! Almost doubled myself over the bars just riding round on the street with really no effort put into the lever at all. Loving them now
    Thanks for everyones help and suggestions, much appreciated

Members who have read this thread: 0