Running full housing- Mtbr.com
    Horst Linked
    Apr 2005

Running full housing

One of my winter projects is to run full housing, both brake and derailleur, on my one bike. I just picked up cable sets but the housing is too short. Are ther sets out there long enough to run full housing or should I just buy everything separately (i.e. cables and a big roll of housing)

...idios...
    Alligator cable sets come in a long, single piece of outer, though probably not enough for front and rear if it's cable discs you have. V's should be fine. I've used their derailleur set and found it performed well as long as the cut on each end of the outer was square and clean.
    Most bike shops will carry outer in long rolls, so they'll cut off what you need. For gears, basic Shimano SIS is usually good enough, especially in a single outer set-up. For brakes, I'd recommend searching for low stretch/compression inners/outers. Again, it's possible that some bike shops will carry stuff like Avid (great outer cables) in longer lengths.
    Peace,
    Steve

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    not sure if I'm under standing, Do you want to use a high end housing set or just regular housing that you can buy in any length you want at your LBS?
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

neutiquam erro
    I just installed full length housing capability on my bike (dremelled out the cable guides). I choose to use Avid Flak Jackets for the housing. The Flak Jacket brake package gave me plenty of the carbon-fiber looking outer housing to do both the front and rear brakes fill-length, but I don't think there would have been enough of the outer housing in the FJ derailleur package to do both the front and rear derailleurs. I have a 1x9 set-up, so it was a non-issue for me. If you are considering non-"basic" housings like FJs, then perhaps your LBS or a good online retailer like Speedgoat (they have an "ask a tech" section) may be able to tell you what length of housings are available in the respective brake and derailleur packages.

Cheers, Chris

Double-metric mtb man
    On a semi-related note...

Is there any point to just putting a section of outer with caps between the existing cable guides rather than drilling them out? I was thinking of doing this and using a little lithium grease or similar in the gap as I'm tempted to run full, but I'd rather not drill out the cable guides unless absolutely necessary.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

...idios...
    Mike, you can just cable-tie the cable against the frame, or even get some special clamps. This thread has a few pictures.
    Peace,
    Steve

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Horst Linked
    Apr 2005
    While going through my big box of extra bike stuff, it looks like I have some extra brake housing, I may just need to buy a section for the derailleur. My wife gets on me for stockpiling all this stuff, glad I don't listen

Members who have read this thread: 0