Rotors with the largest brake pad surface for Magura Louise ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Rotors with the largest brake pad surface for Magura Louise ?

Hi guys,

got myself a Magura Louise front brake, probably year 2007. Pads look like this

and the pads are pretty big in height. I've tried it with an Avid G2 185 rotor, and Shimano Deore 160mm and both rotors have small braking surface which causes that ~30% of the pads surface isn't on the rotor brake surface, yet it brakes on the inner part of the rotor.

Is the only rotor suited for that Louise a Magura rotor ?

Thanks in advance

Chilling out
    In general yes, also note that the rotor thickness varies by manufacturer too and IIRC Magura uses one of the thickest rotors out there (geee, a full 2mm thick...).

The track on the Magura Venti-Disc is pretty nice, and the new Magura Storm and Storm SL rotors also have wider tracks.

Hope has some rotors with pretty wide brake tracks though, for their Tech V2 brakes IIRC, that may work. Not a money-saving option if that is what you are looking for.

For my 2c, just search around for a cost-effective source of the Storm [SL] rotors and go with it.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hey Gents

You can use that caliper/pad with any rotor really as long as it is the correct diameter.
    The thickness of the rotor will dictate where the pads reside and they will be just fine.
    The track thickness won't matter so much from a safety standpoint as the combo will work, just the performance will vary.
    The more material of the rotor (track) in this case, the more heat dissipation and possibly better feel. Same for the thickness like Bear stated, the thicker the better (aside from weight.)
    The "veins or spider arms" of the rotor will also provide some surface for the pad to contact and all of this will shave the pads down evenly believe it or not??!!
    If you look at our Marta SL rotor which the pads pictured are designed to work with, you will notice how the pad tracks into and on about 7 mm of each "vein," as designed.

Good luck and let me know if we can help further.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks bear and Jude.

I want as much performance as I can get (that's why I asked which rotor has the biggest brake surface), but simply Magura rotors are too much for my wallet, since I don't have 100$ for just one rotor at the local Magura distributor .

I'm also very aware that pads that catch the spider arms will brake and , but that just doesn't give the best performance.

Will look into Hope rotors, thanks for that Bear .

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco
    Thanks bear and Jude.

I want as much performance as I can get (that's why I asked which rotor has the biggest brake surface), but simply Magura rotors are too much for my wallet, since I don't have 100$ for just one rotor at the local Magura distributor .

I'm also very aware that pads that catch the spider arms will brake and , but that just doesn't give the best performance.

Will look into Hope rotors, thanks for that Bear .
    Wow, that is some pricey rotors, glad they are only $30 in the US.

Using the small portion of the spider arms has caused no ill effects for me and they have performed quite nicely? You can see the wear pattern on the Storm SL (right) and the Storm (left) from the Louise pads. For further info you can refer to my review at http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/magura-...-rotor-review/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotors with the largest brake pad surface for Magura Louise ?-magsl_main-740x555.jpg  

T.W.O.
    May be I miss something. If you have Magura brake use Magura Rotor. Price point sells all kinds of Magura rotor, and will ship to you. I'm using Marta rotor 203, 180, and 160, same goes as my Venti rotor. They are not $100 each the Marta rotor is only $17 a pop. Plenty of braking surface.

The only brake brand that I use different rotor is Avid, Shimano rotors sure get rid of all the annoying vibration, and squeal

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    May be I miss something. If you have Magura brake use Magura Rotor. Price point sells all kinds of Magura rotor, and will ship to you. I'm using Marta rotor 203, 180, and 160, same goes as my Venti rotor. They are not $100 each the Marta rotor is only $17 a pop. Plenty of braking surface.

The only brake brand that I use different rotor is Avid, Shimano rotors sure get rid of all the annoying vibration, and squeal
    FYI, Price Point charges $55 for International shipping, with a minimum order of $50, on top of whatever the receiving countries duties and taxes are. Assuming he is in Croatia?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    FYI, Price Point charges $55 for International shipping, with a minimum order of $50, on top of whatever the receiving countries duties and taxes are. Assuming he is in Croatia?
    Noted PP is so closed to me on some order I got so lucky I got it the next day Well my point is if Magura is German, and PP is selling them from US, I'm sure there are others around the world that sell the Magura rotor cheaper than retail price. I would hate to think that we sell the cheapest here

Tell you what Vuco, if you can't find the Magura rotor cheaper anywhere else, PM me I'll help you out, I'll order from PP and ship to you, you'd have to pay tax and 2 shipping but it's still cheaper than $55

mtbr member
    ebay is your friend
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, that is some pricey rotors, glad they are only $30 in the US.

Using the small portion of the spider arms has caused no ill effects for me and they have performed quite nicely? You can see the wear pattern on the Storm SL (right) and the Storm (left) from the Louise pads. For further info you can refer to my review at http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/magura-...-rotor-review/
    I've read the review before I bought the Louise. Storms have a big surface. The pads catch a small fraction of the spider arm which is great.
    Even with that is cheaper to buy over Price Point for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Tell you what Vuco, if you can't find the Magura rotor cheaper anywhere else, PM me I'll help you out, I'll order from PP and ship to you, you'd have to pay tax and 2 shipping but it's still cheaper than $55
    Thanks a lot, but no need. I've got ebay and other shopping web sites, will find something.

I saw Hope V2 rotors and SAW. They are cheaper than Magura. I'm gonna try them first. V2 looks like it has the largest brake surface.

Thanks guy for all the help. Happy new year to all.

RIP Friendgirl

Hayes V Rotors?

Maybe try Hayes V cut rotors? They might be more popular & available in your area? They have a wide braking surface & are solidly constructed.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordershy
    Maybe try Hayes V cut rotors? They might be more popular & available in your area? They have a wide braking surface & are solidly constructed.
    You are right. Hayes is more popular here. New rotors from Hayes are like 50$ here. Thanks for the info

The pads are really braking in. I'm running them on Shimano 160mm disc which has really small brake surface and you can see on the pads where they are bedded in and where they aren't (more shiny surface). It brakes like Shimano SLX with avid G2 185mm rotor.

My bro ordered me a 203 rotor from superstar components (as a Christmas gift, it was meant to be a surprise but I almost ordered a Hope V2 ), so now I must wait on it to arrive. Maybe it has a bigger surface than Avid or Shimano.

Chilling out
    FWIW, I just saw some Magura Venti-Disc rotors on eBay for 39 each, last-years "red" models. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi fellas,

I got the disk from Superstar components, and I'm very pleased by their rotor. It's pretty thick (2mm) and what's more important - big braking surface !

I measured the disks I had at home (all 6 bolt rotors):
    Shimano Deore 160mm - 13mm
    Avid G2 185mm - 16mm
    Superstar Vibe 203 rotor - 19mm

I got in touch with their customer support, and asked if all the rotors had such large surfaces. Will let you know when I get an answer.

The only down thing is, weight. For their vibe rotor, they say 203mm is round 200g. But if the flame rotor has the same surface, then you have it all - thick (therefore very strong), lightweight (flame is round 150g if I remember correctly) and cheap !

Since my Louises bedded in, the thing brakes like a beast even on the Shimano rotor. And since I have a QR axle on my RS Recon (even though it is a DT Swiss RWS) I think this rotor is overkill for me. But, for now it will be great !

Some pics of it:

RIP Friendgirl

Hayes V Rotor

Looks like a Hayes V cut rotor copy. 206g & 18mm braking surface width.
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes, they are very similar, but you can see the difference easily. And I'm not sure how thick Hayes is.
    It costs 28$ - rotor, PM to IS adapter and postage from UK to Croatia.

RIP Friendgirl
    Hayes V rotors are 1.75mm measured with accurate calipers. If your just "eyeballing"a ruler, it might be hard to distinguish the difference.

Nice price on your total purchase though

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No, measured it with an old (but reliable) caliper - ~1,95mm

Tommorow it's going on my bike and on Sundey on its first trail ride. Need to burn in the pads and the rotor till then, but I'm really happy with it (but I'm sure it's overkill for my weight, ride style and QR DT Swiss fork/hub).

Members who have read this thread: 0