Rotor sizing help? Dart 2 Forks.- Mtbr.com
    This guy

Rotor sizing help? Dart 2 Forks.

I have a set of dart 2 forks. Currently i am running the hayes mx series of the cable operated disc brakes. The rotor on the bike is 6" and I wanted to buy a hydro disc set up. Can I use a 160mm rotor if I buy a complete kit (caliper, rotor, mastercylinder, etc.)? My biggest question is will the caliper mount to the forks and be able to accomodate a larger rotor? Do they set up the calipers to sit higher up on the mounts to accomodate the larger rotor or what? Thanks!
    Possible kits are: Shimano deore, hayes HFX, Avid juicy, BUT DEFINENTLY ANYTHING IS OPEN AS AN OPTION.
    RIDE

Meh.
    Your fork uses a 74mm post mount. So you can use any post mount caliper with a 160 rotor (Avid, most Hayes, Formula, etc). An adapter is used to run a larger rotor, though I would not run a much larger rotor on that fork.

I AM I AM
    As an example, if you purchased this deore brake below you would not use the adapter that it comes with (because the IS adapter won't suit your Post Mount fork), and you would bolt the brake caliper straight on. You would use the adapter supplied with the rear brake because the rear end of your bike would have IS type mounts. Some forks come with Post mounts some come with IS.

If you wanted to run a rotor larger than 160mm (6") then you would have to purchase a suitable "Post to Post" adapter which basically places the caliper further out from the fork to suit whatever rotor size you chose.

Hope that makes some sense for you.

I AM I AM
    Double post, seems to be playing up tonight!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by YZINGERR
    I have a set of dart 2 forks. Currently i am running the hayes mx series of the cable operated disc brakes. The rotor on the bike is 6" and I wanted to buy a hydro disc set up. Can I use a 160mm rotor if I buy a complete kit (caliper, rotor, mastercylinder, etc.)? My biggest question is will the caliper mount to the forks and be able to accomodate a larger rotor? Do they set up the calipers to sit higher up on the mounts to accomodate the larger rotor or what? Thanks!
    Possible kits are: Shimano deore, hayes HFX, Avid juicy, BUT DEFINENTLY ANYTHING IS OPEN AS AN OPTION.
    Despite Hayes and many users insisting on calling them 6" rotors, your and most other "6 inch" brakes use 160mm rotors.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup Rotors come....

in standard sizes for the most part, 160mm, called a 6", but actually 6.3", 180mm, called a 7" and pretty close to 7" at 7.08", 185mm (an Avid thing), that is also called a 7" but measures 7.28 actual, and a 203mm, called an 8" and is pretty darned close at 7.99" actual. There are some odd ball sizes out there, but most are relagated to "road" discs.

Anyway if you get a 160mm hydro brake it will fit on your Dart without an adpater no sweat. What you have on there now is actually a 160mm.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Meh.
    Hayes uses a 183 called a V7 and a 224 called a V9. Hope and Magura use different sizes... There are 165s and 210s and 205s and 200s out there.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hayes uses a 183 called a V7 and a 224 called a V9. Hope and Magura use different sizes... There are 165s and 210s and 205s and 200s out there.
    Plus 140, 180, 185, 190, 220mm, 10-inch...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Meh.
    Shimanos brief run of 170s...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am running a 180mm Hope Mini rotor on a dart 1, and have yet to experience any problems. If there were to be any problems, what would happen - fork snapping? I will just run it until it breaks, then upgrade to a Reba or similiar.

Brad

Members who have read this thread: 0