rotor removal problem help!- Mtbr.com
    solid gold plated

rotor removal problem help!

i just got my 8inch rotor upgrade for my hayes, and with the rotor intself came this lovely little star-shaped allen key for removing the old bolts holding the rotor in place.

thing is, ive found the actual tool doesnt fit the bolts to well and sometimes slips. i've managed to remove 5 of the 6 from the front wheel so far, but the last one keeps slipping and every time is rounding the bolt head more and more so i get even less purchase.

anyone got any tips to get this sodding thing out as its driving me nuts

cheers

LBS Manager
    Try a damaged screw remover. You can get them at Canadian tire, Sears, or probably any hardware store.

mtbr member
    If the bolt is truly rounded off you can grind the head of the bolt off. Be careful not to grind down into the rotor, and then the rotor should just come off. Take a pair of pliers and un thread the remaining part of the bolt.

This is a last resort, try taking it to your LBS, they might have a better torx wrench than what you have.

Good luck.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

solid gold plated
    yeah i think i will try my lbs first, not exactly thrilled with the idea of drilling or filing anything out just yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i've found some bolts are size 25 torx and some are 27... very close - i've mistakenly used a 25 on the 27 once or twice rounding out the bolt. Try gripping it with a vice-grips????
    Every tool is special.

Meh.
    Most are t25 torx. Those torx bits that come with the rotors suck.

You can cut a notch in the top of the bolt and and use a slotted screwdriver to pull it out. I would do that before going to the EZ-Out. Sometimes the bolt removers work great, other times they just destroy the bolt without pulling it out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a good bit, If you still have some edges you can try glueing the bit into the bolt. And then give it one last shot.

Before you go to get out the saws and drills.

solid gold plated
    tried cutting a notch into the bolt head, didnt work

looks like im drilling it out, and probably ruining my front hub, then throwing more things around my garage, finally giving up riding bikes for ever and taking up knitting

LBS Manager
    Before you go ahead and ruin your hub try a Screw remover I have got a lot of stripped bolts out with them.

Meh.
    Touch a soldering iron to the tip of the bolt head. Then try again with the screwdriver. Make sure that notch is nice and deep and fits around the screwdriver snugly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Try to carefully lock a pair of Vice-Grips on the bolt head- this worked for me recently on the same problem.

solid gold plated
    thanks for all the replies and suggestions, unfortunately none of them worked thus far.

im thinking my only route left to me is a decent bike shop, sadly everywhere is closed with xmas looming, so i think that xmas day ride i promised myself is gone

ho well, hopefully in a few days i will give u guys an update where ive got the sodding thing out, not damaged my hub and will not have had to resort to knitting

cheers anyway

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

I've had good success...

Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    Try to carefully lock a pair of Vice-Grips on the bolt head- this worked for me recently on the same problem.
    with this method as well - the smaller size vice grips work best as you can grab lower on the bolt head. You might even try filing some "wrench flats" on the outside of the bolt head to improve the grip.

Members who have read this thread: 0