Rotor question?!- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

Rotor question?!

So I am in the process of building a mtn bike (will be mostly singletrack and XC riding). Most all of the components have been purchased through craigslist, ebay, or used from elsewhere and I was able to get a set of BB7 with rotors and SD7 levers for less than $120. However, I believe what I am reading on the BB7s is they are circa 2006/7 and have mismatched rotors.

Now the wheel set that I am looking at is custom from Universal Cycles, Sun EQ27 rims with Shimano M629 hubs (32 point engagement and centerlock). With these would I be better off buying a new set of centerlock rotors, buying new rotors and adapter (probably G3s) or just getting the adapters and going with what I have?

If buying new rotors/adapters what would you recommend?

ups and downs
    The Shimano CL rotors require some modifications of the brake pads to clear the rotor arms. More here...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=286460

You might consider just buying some CL to 6 bolt adapters and a pair of Avid G3 rotors.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks Rockyuphill... I do remember seeing that you need to bend the tabs for the pads out so that the connection point for the rotor to the spider is able to clear and spin easily.

Short-Change-Hero
    HOLY CRAP!!! Centerlock specific rotors are $50/ea?! WTF!!! At that rate I might as well stick with what I have and just buy the adapters! Am I just not looking in the right places?

mtbr member
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thank god!!! I was seriously about to have a heart attack at $50 a pop! Guess Google shopping doesn't always find the good prices.

Members who have read this thread: 0