Rock Shox Discs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rock Shox Discs?

I found an online store that has a set of Rock Shox Disc brakes for sale new and really cheap. I don't know anything about these, I'm not even sure of the model number. Are they any good? What was their intended usage? I can't find anything about them on the Rock Shox web site.

If they could be made to work for my cross country riding it might be worth while.

Thanks, Steve Frew.

the Truth will set u free

They are the old Amp disc brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Threesticks
    I found an online store that has a set of Rock Shox Disc brakes for sale new and really cheap. I don't know anything about these, I'm not even sure of the model number. Are they any good? What was their intended usage? I can't find anything about them on the Rock Shox web site.

If they could be made to work for my cross country riding it might be worth while.

Thanks, Steve Frew.
    They are the old Amp disc brakes which RockShox purchased the rights to, and then made a few improvements to. Personally, I'd look into a current disc brake such as the Avid mechanicals....but DeeEight seemed to like his Rock Shox disc brakes:
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...f.9@.ef83e37/3
    2001 Ellsworth Truth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Thats what I was thinking, get something newer in design. It was about $80 for the front and rears and both hubs. It was tempting though. I dont' need discs that badly.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Frew

Chrome Toaster
    I've read a lot of old reports that said they were worse than a bad set of V's.

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Bzzzzzzzzzzzt!! Wrong answer, but thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    I've read a lot of old reports that said they were worse than a bad set of V's.
    Heh heh, sorry just kidding. I really have no idea how those brakes ride :-).
    -Ryan

Unshaven Yak

I actually owned those

Had it in the front with an avid rim brake on the back of my old Heckler. First disc I ever had, got it working really well too. It will stop you fine & let you keep your shifter/brakelever combo units but:

Good luck getting pads
    It used a 3 bolt disc/hub, which is totally not standard 6 bolt.
    (Maybe you can use a 6bolt disc of the same diameter though)
    It looks really old
    You can have mine, they sit in a drawer, tired & getting ever closer to the end (sniff).

Advice?

Skip it, it's really old & lame next to anything else. Get a set of Avid Mechs on the cheap & be happy.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    Had it in the front with an avid rim brake on the back of my old Heckler. First disc I ever had, got it working really well too. It will stop you fine & let you keep your shifter/brakelever combo units but:

Good luck getting pads
    It used a 3 bolt disc/hub, which is totally not standard 6 bolt.
    (Maybe you can use a 6bolt disc of the same diameter though)
    It looks really old.
    Looking old is good. People always ask me about my discs.

pads are simple. EBC makes 'em in all three compounds they offfer (green, red and gold).

The rear rotors are the same bolt-circle diameter as the international hayes/shimano 6-bolt pattern, so will work on those hubs. Also Chris King offers adapters for their universal disc hubs for the amp/rockshox rotos. Besides which, the guy said $80 for both discs (which are I.S. caliper mounts) WITH HUBS (probably formula or White Industries).

Oh, the calipers work best with a high leverage / low cable pull lever. You don't need very much master cylinder piston movement for the brake to lock the wheel. So stuff made for cantilevers, and some wonder leverage ones like the old Crystal Design BadFinger levers, or DiaCompe SS-5s would be idea (or old shimano servowave).

keep the shiny side up!
    i talked to a dh guy years back that had them and he said they worked great if you know how to set them up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I need a rear Rock Shox disc ROTOR

help..............
    im bikeless for the moment and all i need
    is to get my hands on a rear rotor for a RS cable disc set
    anyone have a spare one of these?
    ive tried all the importers here in australia and have had no luck so far

The rear rotors are the same bolt-circle diameter as the international hayes/shimano 6-bolt pattern, so will work on those hubs.
    So i can use a rear grimeca disc on these hubs and they will fit alright???

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Save your money

Quote Originally Posted by Threesticks

Thanks, Steve Frew.
    I heard reports that they were pretty scary brakes but I have not personally tried them.Save your money,buy some good wheels and some Avid mechanicals.They were fine for me for 21/2 years until I tried my buddies hydraulics now I'm getting the Juicy Sevens.The mechs have a teeny bit less power but quite a bit less modulation.Still they're fine for 90% of the riding I do.The mechs are going to find a home on my hardtail on which I don't do super technical rides.