mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Reusing shimano hoses?

Finally got a new pair of new shimano XT brakes (765) to replace a pair of faulty juicy 5's only to find out that the front hose is too short to fit my 170mm fork

Ok, I can go out and buy a new hose but on the other hand I do have a pair of XTR calipers with XT levers sitting my xc bike. The front hose from the XTR is long enougth to fit either bike while the new short hose will only fit the xc bike as it has a shorter fork.

Since I can't use the XTR ISO caliper on the long travel bike since its a post mount fork the obvious solution is to exchange the hoses. From what I can see both hoses are BH-62 so they should fit.

Is exchanging them a problem? Can I just disassemble the hoses and reuse them on the other brake or do they have any crushable one use only parts/seals? Obviously I will have to bleed both brakes this but that is not a problem.

Any advice would be welcome before I go and disassemble a pair of perfectly good working brakes...
    Erez

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Never mind, found the answer in a shimano tech pdf, the olive and connection bolt at the lever side are not reusable.

Then again, I can just exchange calipers without disconnectiong the lever side. Its going to be a bit strange with each bike having one lever black and the other silver but technically it should work.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Just go and grab a few olives at your local harware / plumbing store. Screw is reusable, just remove old olive, maybe you'll have to cut the piece of hose on it, around half inch or so. But that's it, bleed and go.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Members who have read this thread: 0