mtbr member

Replace housing/cable for BB7s

So the housing on my wife's bike rear brake came "undone" (looks like the inside wrapping pulled through one of the ends due to a jagged cable) and I need to replace it. I ordered a jagwire brake cable set and park cable cutter.

Background: Bike is a Bianchi ROK 29er with BB7s and SD7 levers. Bike used to have Juicy 7s (now on my bike).

Few questions:

I'm assuming I have to cut off the "bullet" shape end off and keep the "barrel" shaped end on the cable to thread through the brake lever?

Should I run the housing the full length or run it to the first stop and then from the second stop to the BB7 (like it was set up)? Just trying to avoid the same thing from happening again.

I know the easy way would be to take this to my LBS but I like to learn by doing. Re wiring a cable seems like an "easy" thing to do, bike maintenance wise.

Thanks for all your help, any other pointers for a first timer are welcome.

dirtbag
    Do it right. Get rid of the current cable and housing and get a new set. Run full housing from the lever to caliper. And get a good pair of cable housing cutters if you're going to DIY which looks like you've got covered.

You may have to zip tie the full housing to the top/down tube or get the stick on cable guides.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    What's the difference between running full housing vs splitting it at the top tube?

Huckin' trails
    Less debris that can enter the housing and jammed the cable... and also help preventing cable housing to bend at the ferrules that connect to the frame when the steering is moving.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!