Reinstalling Piston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Reinstalling Piston

So in the process of trying to eliminate the extreme brake rub on my front Avid Elixir brake, the piston came out. Do i need completely unbolt the caliper to reinstall? Do i need to replace the O-ring? I haven't even ridden these brakes yet and am really frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    It's easier to take the caliper apart to reinstall the piston. How and why did the piston come out? What did you try to do to solve the rubbing? It sounds like you might be better off taking it to a shop if a piston came out while you were trying to solve a rubbing issue.

mtbr member
    I dont know if this is true for Hydraulic brakes on bikes but on Cars usually if you pop the piston out you need to have the caliper rebuilt with new seals and boots. Its very easy to pop the piston out, especially if you are pumping the brake with no rotor to keep it from coming all the way out.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

JAZ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I bled my Ultimates over the weekend whilst a non biking friend was with me.
    Took the wheels/pads out & went to make a cuppa, came back & he had squeezed the front lever a few times forcing a piston out
    I pushed it back in by hand & it made a little pop noise as the o ring went into place, bled the brake & it has been fine since, so you should be ok.

Meh.
    O-ring will not need to be replaced if it was not folded, twisted, or otherwise damaged.

Sounds like user error to me...

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I dont know if this is true for Hydraulic brakes on bikes...
    Then why are you posting?!?! There are plenty of informed and experienced people on the forum who do actually know what they're talking about; so if you're not sure, and instead of telling people that they may have to do a complete caliper rebuild, just DO NOTHING.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Then why are you posting?!?! There are plenty of informed and experienced people on the forum who do actually know what they're talking about; so if you're not sure, and instead of telling people that they may have to do a complete caliper rebuild, just DO NOTHING.
    You fail to read, I gave my thoughts on it comparing car brakes which I do know about to Bike Hydros which I know very little about. Taking into consideration they are basically the same I gave my thoughts on it. I never told him to rebuild his caliper. I even stated that I didn't know if it was true for Bikes. That being said if the Topic Starter took my comparison of car brakes to bike brakes as the word of the law then I am sorry, but I thought I was being pretty clear about what I was stating. This will be my last post in this topic
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

...idios...
    You fail to read...
    You'd like to think so, wouldn't you.

This will be my last post in this topic
    I sincerely hope that the topic you refer to is mountain bikes.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pass the popcorn please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK

Jeez - someone pi$$ed in your cornflakes and all over the kitchen table this morning huh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It was definitely user error, haha. Good news that i will just have to pop it back in. I didn't want to take the caliper apart.

I may have to anyways however since the opposite piston is stuck. Strange thing is, the stuck side is also the side where the rotor is hitting the brake pad. Anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks

Meh.
    You'll have to rebleed before you do this... but...

Hold the piston that moves with a tire lever and squeeze the lever to pump the stuck piston out. Lube, work it in and out.

Or if you take the caliper apart... you can pop the piston out with an air compressor and nozzle.

Members who have read this thread: 0