recomend a hydraulic brake set up for under $150/wheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

recomend a hydraulic brake set up for under $150/wheel

I am looking to upgrade to a hydraulic disk brake setup. I live in south east michigan. I ride the trails in my immediate area. I guess a decent XC/Trail brake that will work with 160mm (front and back) rotors. I would like to spend under $150 per wheel, and they can be used. What do you recommend?

Thanks
    Zack

T.W.O.
    Plenty, check out pricepoint. Elixir CR is 150 per wheel, Shimano, Hayes, Formula, Magura.

Pricepoint, Bluesky, CBO, eBay. If you can spend $300 make sure it had pad adjustment feature, it does come in handy later.

Bicycle Addict
    Avid Elixir 3's are under that budget and have worked really well for me so far.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Never trust a fart
    You can get Elixer CR's for around $125 if you shop around. Also Shimano SLX's should be in that price range as well.

mtbr member
    You can get XT's for that budget. I'm liking mine a lot more than the Elixir R's they replaced.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I would say go for either Avid Elixer's or Shimano XT's. Price Point has last year's Elixer's on sale for a decent price:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/199...White-2010.htm

Just noticed they only have 160 as a rear. You could have a great 185/160 set-up for a little over $200.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would say Avid's four piston Code 5 and Code R(The Code 5's replacement) designs. The only reason I'm more hesitant to recommend the R's is that I've never used them,although I am getting them installed on my Trance X1 sometime Friday or Saturday.

The Code 5's are great brakes however they do have some quirks. The first is break in, for some reason it takes forever to brake in new rotors. I just changed the front rotor on my XTC 29er1 from a 185mm Avid G3 to a 203mm shimano RT76 and experienced a noticable drop in braking power. I suspect this is why the Code's tested poorly on Bike Radar's braking tests ,they just don't work well with fresh rotors.

That's not to say the Code 5's don't have good power the begining. I've used changed out Juicy 3's with Code 5's on several bikes and experienced a signifcant increase in power from the begining but the brake takes time to reach it's full potential for some reason.

The Code 5's also have a quick ramp up to full power,it's not nearly as on off as the Hayes Stroker Ryde's which they will be replacing on the Trance X1,but the power can come on quickly even compared to other powerful brakes such Shimano's Saints. This is an issue that the newer Code R's are suppose to be address,the Code R's are suppose to incorporate design changes that will result in a more linear application of power.

That's not to say that the Elixir R's aren't great brakes but I think if you want to buy brakes you might as well get the most powerful brake you can reasonably buy regardless of whether or not you use the power. I think having that extra power on hand inspires confidence,especially when you're going fast! More importantly brakes are an esential safety system on any bicycle and more braking power results in greater safety.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Really cheap Avids in the UK. Elixir 5 from £135 for both front and rear. I recently bought a set for my hardtail that had rubbish Juicy 3's.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+S...s/Disc+Brakes/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I picked up a set of Elixir 5's from wheelsandsprokets on ebay for $170 complete pair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have the elixir R and love them...185/160 on a 2008 trance x2. Purchase last year from my lbs for 125 per wheel installed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    XTs for sure. Love mine lots more than the Elixirs I have.

You could even go SLX to save some more $$

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After installing the Code Rs' on my Trance X1 I can honestly say that an Avid mish mash is probably the best choice.

The Code R's have awesome power,especially for the price. However they can a bit too awesome,especially as rear brakes. While doing some downhill asphalt power testing I was getting severe lock up for my rear brake with a 185mm rotor. Changing the rear rotor to a 160 elimanated some of the problems but I think it still has more power than I would like or need,at least without locking up the rotor.

As front brakes the Code R's are awesome,they have great downhill stopping power. In fact it's even possible to lift the rear end if you try to stop as quickly on a level surface. On downhill runs the Code R's have far more stopping power than Elixir 5's or Juicy 3's. If you've used the Code R's for even a short period of time Elixir 5's feel as if they have absolutely no stopping power by comparison.

So with all this in mind I think a mish mash of Code R's for the front and Elixir R's/5's for the rear would probably be the best combination.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    It's hard to beat the Formula RX in terms of bang for the buck. They're very light, even though they're the budget version of the R1s, quite powerful with excellent modulation. I've been a long running Shimano XT 4 pot fan and Magura before that (I hate working with the DOT4 fluid); however, I couldn't deny the superiority of the Formula brakes.

Here is a pretty killer deal:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-New-Formula...item5889aea329

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Formula Oro K24's. I've installed them on 2 bikes and the are great brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Formula-Oro-K24-...#ht_2701wt_905

Same guy I bought both sets from. Full setup, rotors, adapters, everything. Well worth it.

mtbr member
    Code r... if you search ebay you can get a set for around ~260 shipped. I have the older code 5's and they are pretty good brakes. I got those off ebay. I will probably pick up some code r's soon. Ebay has good prices on brakesets. One thing with the code 5's though is they had a ridiculous long front brake line that you'll want to shorten. I'm not sure if its the same with the code r's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I am going to go with the Code R. I did find some on ebay for $240.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My LBS installed my Code R's so they seem okay in terms of length. Pricing is pretty competitive after a $100 credit for my Anthem X 29er frame recall I paid $175.00 after tax.

The brakes look awesome they have an impessive anodized finish and look more expensive than the bike itself! There's also no break in period with the Code R's they seem to work well immediately,the Code 5's worked well but needed time to get up to full power.

Again the only issue is lockup with the rear brake,other than that the Code R's are really great. It's almost worth changing brakes alone for the new cosmetics alone!

Members who have read this thread: 0