mtbr member
    May 2007

Rear Juicy 7 constantly requires lever contact adjustment

I have Juicy 7 brakes on my commuter bike, but after it has been in the sun for an hour, I have to dial that red knob halfway in. After the bike has been sitting in my house overnight, I'll have the dial the knob all the way back out.

It's as if the fluid in the rear brake is extremely sensitive to temperature changes. The front brake doesn't have this issue. The rear brake feels just as firm as the front. I've properly bled it several times, but this problem never goes away.

T.W.O.
    Yeah I feel ya, that's why the adj knob is so important to me on the J7. Though I've never had any problem with vibration since I stopped using Avid's rotors. I upgrade the lever to Twenty6 Duallie lever than the brakes feel awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can't really figure this out. I'm guessing it has something to do with the length of hose. Perhaps painting the entire braking system white, including the hose, would help keep it from heating up as much?

Would a steel braided line for the rear solve this? (I don't figure it would)

Has anyone else solved this problem?

mtbr member
    I bet you've had those brakes for a while. I also have Juciy7s and the same problem and I put it down to the fact that they're approaching 4 years old and the hose is probably breaking down inside and the caliper or lever or both need a rebuild with new seals. At least as Mimi said they have the easy to adjust dials and yup, no problem really with the front. My plan is to first buy new hose for them and if that doesn't solve it do the rebuild kit.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I bet you've had those brakes for a while. I also have Juciy7s and the same problem and I put it down to the fact that they're approaching 4 years old and the hose is probably breaking down inside and the caliper or lever or both need a rebuild with new seals. At least as Mimi said they have the easy to adjust dials and yup, no problem really with the front. My plan is to first buy new hose for them and if that doesn't solve it do the rebuild kit.
    That's an excellent point. IMO, it's more master cylinder problem than caliper. It happens to all brakes though it's more subtle on others like Shimano, Formula, Magura , Hope or Hayes but it's there. I'd seconded the rebuild as well refreshing the seals can do wonders to the brakes.