Rear disc mount adapter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rear disc mount adapter?

I have a 1999 Gary Fisher Paragon. I really like the frame, but now that I've finally finished off the wheels I figured I could move up to disc brakes. I ASSuMEd it would be easy since the frame has a rear disc mount, but it looks like that's not the case. There are two threaded holes ~22 mm apart on the non-drive chain stay. I've read this is a Hayes Direct Mount and that there's no adapter available to switch to a typical ISO disc mount. I've looked into conversion kits that bolt directly on the the frame and get the impression that they're enough trouble that I'd be better off staying with rim brakes.

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm hoping to get the bike up and running again soon, but I want to buy wheels that I can count on using long-term so I'd rather not limit myself to rim brakes if there's a way to get something like an Avid BB7 working reliably on the rear.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    If they still make these, they are about your best bet. http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html . 22mm direct mount calipers are very difficult to find anymore. You can still find them on ebay now and then. But they are almost always the old Hayes 22mm direct mount hydro brakes. Not a bad brake, but dated.

Anyway, the B&S adapter does work. It can set up some vibration issues, and they do tend to flex the tinniest bit, but it's about the only viable solution out there without actually tracking down a 22mm direct mount brake caliper.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks--that adapter certainly looks like it would work. I can see why there might be vibration issues with it though since the caliper is cantilevered out on the end of the unconstrained span. I think I'll go the safe route and stick with rim brakes for a while longer. I don't want to create more headaches with an 'upgrade'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi i've got a brand new rear 22mm hayes direct mount i may sell

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Members who have read this thread: 0