rear disc conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

rear disc conversion

Hello Everybody. I been reading here. there alot of good info. So im excited to be in the group . I have a bmw touring bike that i won at my work place. Now im trying to do a rear disc conversion but can't any bracket to do the conversion. My bike only has 1 hole in the rear. Thank you for your help

mtbr member
    Brutally honest, not sugarcoated answer: putting a disc brake on this bike is probably a waste of time and money.

That single hole is probably for attaching a fender or rear rack.

Can you post some photos or more info about this bike?

What do you plan to accomplish with a disc brake that you cannot do with the bike's current brake? How much money are you willing to spend on an adapter (if it exists), new wheel, caliper and lever, etc?

if you're just doing mellow touring, disc brakes won't be that great of an upgrade...especially for the cost of the bracket/caliper/cable/housing/rotor & new rear hub/wheel (that's ~$500 right there). people used rim brakes just fine for decades....and still do on almost all road bikes. they're not that bad.

if you're doing more than mellow touring and still really want to upgrade because you think it's worth it for better modulation, stronger braking in the wet/mud....etc, i'd sell the bike and upgrade the whole thing. you'll no-question be happier with the result and money spent.

mtbr member
    www.a2zcomponents.com

Probably not a good idea to send you down this rabbit hole, but here it is.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Ride it like it is until the wheels fall off!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Lol.i seen slackard on this forum custom a bracket which is legit. my brother has a set of wheel and disc brakes that i can use.
    How do u attach pictures? Sorry guys newbie

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    New wheels needed as well, might be better off to go with a used bike with the setup you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    New wheels needed as well, might be better off to go with a used bike with the setup you are looking for.
    Thanks for helping out

Air Pirate
    For the A2Z DM-UNI universal disc brake adapter to work you need to have wide and flat dropouts with no braze-ons or frame cable stops in the way.

This is the adapter on a 1997 GT LTS-1, which has perfect dropouts for this application.

rear disc conversion-lts-a2z.jpg

The dropout faces have to be square. If you have round tubing or a dropout that curves and does not let the adapter sit flat then it will not attach tightly. This could be very dangerous. If the brake caliper can move at all and not stay parallel to the brake rotor you risk your brake locking up.

Neither of these dropout below will work:

rear disc conversion-rear_dropout.jpg

Name:  DAG20.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  21.5 KB

There are many other shapes and sizes of dropouts. If you post a photo of what your bike has we can tell you if an adapter like this will work.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    For the A2Z DM-UNI universal disc brake adapter to work you need to have wide and flat dropouts with no braze-ons or frame cable stops in the way.

This is the adapter on a 1997 GT LTS-1, which has perfect dropouts for this application.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LTS - A2Z.JPG 
Views:	2080 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	1000043

The dropout faces have to be square. If you have round tubing or a dropout that curves and does not let the adapter sit flat then it will not attach tightly. This could be very dangerous. If the brake caliper can move at all and not stay parallel to the brake rotor you risk your brake locking up.

Neither of these dropout below will work:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear_dropout.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1000049

Name:  DAG20.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  21.5 KB

There are many other shapes and sizes of dropouts. If you post a photo of what your bike has we can tell you if an adapter like this will work.
    Thanks.
    Here is the picture.[IMG]https://flic.kr/p/vE6Dpb

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think my tail is curve in alittle. So i dont kmow how the adapter will fit. I contact Slackard in this forum, he made custom bracket. But no response yet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear disc conversion-20150705_203303.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The drop out is vertical . Fyi

Air Pirate
    The curvature of the top edge of the dropout may be a deal killer for you. It would not allow the adapter to be attached firmly against the entire dropout, only at the ends. I don't know how stable that would be, I would not advise trying it.

I also think the quick release may be too far to the rear for the adapter to have enough frame material to sufficiently clamp around.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah. I probably stick with rim brakes. Or just do the front.i sen some nice brackets but only custom tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear disc conversion-screenshot_2015-07-05-19-51-20.jpg  

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Brutally honest, not sugarcoated answer: putting a disc brake on this bike is probably a waste of time and money.
    This. Just get out and enjoy the ride.