mtbr member

Rear brake stopping power - wrong expectations?

Just trying to make sure that this is a problem with my brake and I just don't have unrealistic expectations of my brake stopping power.

Background: Fisher G2 29er hardtail, Juicy 7 brakes, Roundagon rotors(185f,160r). 250lbs rider.

My front brake can send me flying over the bars with one finger. However I can't even get my rear brake to lock the wheel. It almost feel like an antilock brake on a car where the wheel keeps spinning and eventually slows me down and stop me.

Pads look OK. I scrubbed the rotors and pads with rubbing alcohol to make sure there is not oil/grease on them.

Should I be able to lock my rear wheel or is this common behavior? Does the jump from 160 to 185 make that big of a difference? Do I just need to take my bike into a shop and have them bleed the line?

Thanks for your wisdom!

Something is wrong. The shop should be able to figure it out.

Picture Unrelated
    Yeah, something is wrong for sure. Could be pads, rotor, alignment, contamination, pistons not operating in sync. The shop is your best bet for getting it taken care of quickly.

If you put a gun to my head and made me guess what the problem is, I would say contamination. If you wash your bike with a hose you'll always run the risk of carrying lubricants into your brake pads.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Dirt Deviant
    What do you use to lube your chain, and how do you do it?
    Is it in an aerosol can?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann View Post
    What do you use to lube your chain, and how do you do it?
    Is it in an aerosol can?
    I use the park chain lube (not a spray). I apply it at the chain ring while back spinning the cranks while the bike is hanging by the front wheel in storage. Maybe I need to start doing that by the rear der so if there is any splatter, it does not go near the rotors.

The thing is that I did scrub the pads & rotor well, maybe it just sucks that stuff up? Do I just need to replace the pads and rotors? Just the pads?

I read some people bake the rotors and pads. Does that work? Does it stink up your oven?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by murtaghstyle View Post
    I use the park chain lube (not a spray). I apply it at the chain ring while back spinning the cranks while the bike is hanging by the front wheel in storage. Maybe I need to start doing that by the rear der so if there is any splatter, it does not go near the rotors.

The thing is that I did scrub the pads & rotor well, maybe it just sucks that stuff up? Do I just need to replace the pads and rotors? Just the pads?

I read some people bake the rotors and pads. Does that work? Does it stink up your oven?
    Old fry pan medium heat 10 to 15 minutes...wait till the smoke stops....doesn't smell up the kitchen much at all. Turn on the exhuast fan.

Dirt Deviant
    Make sure you wipe up the excess chain lube after application.
    If the pads and rotors were contaminated, then the rotors need a good cleaning with 99% alcohol, or better yet, denatured alcohol.
    The pads should probably be replaced.
    Although, I have had decent success with baking them clean, I highly recommend against doing so in your oven.
    I have used a blow torch set to a very low setting. So low the flame was just flickering, and a slight gust of wind would put the torch out. Kind of like a BIC lighter type flame, just bigger.
    You need to set the pads on some kind of a heatsink or you will destroy them.
    I use the back end of a large vise to and set the pads face up on the flat part.
    Lightly brush them over with heat and they will start smoking. Heat them too much and you will ruin them.
    Just enough so they start smoking and try to maintain that amount of heat.
    With luck, you won't destroy the pads, and will survive your first ride with them.
    It's so much easier and safer to just buy new pads.
    Or go down to the thrift shop and pick up a cheap toaster oven that you can keep in the garage for cleaning pads.
    Set it to about 420 and heat away.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.