Rear brake goes "tick" "tick" "tick" when used- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear brake goes "tick" "tick" "tick" when used

I had a Shimano rear brake caliper bled by the LBS recently and new pad were installed. It worked fine for awhile, but then I noticed this ticking sound occurring. It only happens when the brake pads are engaged with the rotor.

I checked to make sure the pad spring clip wasn't hitting the rotor, the pads are seated, spokes are tight, etc. Any thoughts on what else it could be? Could something in the rear hub internals be the culprit that only happens when torque is applied? Thanks for any help to try at home before I go back to the LBS...

Give it a crank
    I've had that with a less than perfectly flat disc rotor. Try spinning the wheels and slowly engaging the noisy brake until you find something that moves in rhythm with the sounds. You may have to try both with the wheels off the ground and while riding the bike. Just don't forget how dangerous spinning wheels can be when poking around.

mtbr member
    Check to make sure that the caliper is properly aligned with the rotor. Also that the rotor is true. It could be that the rotor is rubbing one pad at some point.

Also check rotor bolts. Rotor cleanliness. Could even be the headset - is there any play in the headset? Is the QR/thru bolt tight?

Sounds can frustratingly come from anywhere...

mtbr member
    Last time I had that it was a spring clip, hmm. Pull out pads and then reinstall them just to be on the safe side?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    . Could even be the headset - is there any play in the headset? Is the QR/thru bolt tight?

Pretty sure the headset isn't making the rear brake tick no matter how loose it may be...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Pretty sure the headset isn't making the rear brake tick no matter how loose it may be...
    Yeah, comprehension fail. Wrote too much and forgot the end of the bike the problem was on

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions! Heading to the garage this morning to try and work it out myself...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! Heading to the garage this morning to try and work it out myself...
    Does the tick tick increase and decrease with increasing and decreasing speed?

mtbr member
    QUOTE=jeffscott;9360461]Does the tick tick increase and decrease with increasing and decreasing speed?[/QUOTE]

No, but it does increase as more force is applied at the caliper. I don't get any ticking when the wheel is just spinning, as the pad spacing to the rotor seems fine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    QUOTE=jeffscott;9360461]Does the tick tick increase and decrease with increasing and decreasing speed?
    No, but it does increase as more force is applied at the caliper. I don't get any ticking when the wheel is just spinning, as the pad spacing to the rotor seems fine.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I was expecting you to say yes it is linked to wheel speed....

That would indicate that it is a problem with something that rotates at wheel speed...(rotor and pads)

Since the frequency of the tick tick is not proportional to wheel speed....

Then you have to think the tick tick is frame or mounting related....not rotor pad related.

Just a flesh wound

Caliper Bolts

Check that the caliper mounting bolts aren't hitting the rotor. Maybe the pads push the rotor just far enough to hit the bolts. If that's it, just add a small washer to prevent the bolts from protruding.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

sm4
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Are u using alluminium backing plate brake pad ?. normally the alu back plate was sticky rupt with the metal pin, when u apply force the pad engaged abit then the pad will hitting the rotor, this was single tick sound when u apply the brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    two suggestions....

#1 as others have mentioned...If you are using some kind of washer/spacer under the cailiper?? be sure it's not too far towards the rotor and hitting it??(especially if you are using Hayes brakes with that oval shaped spacer that they use)

#2 sometimes the outer part of the rotor hits the caliper on a high spot??check the outside edge of your rotor for a rub mark..If you see one then use a small spacer under your caliper and you are good to go

Members who have read this thread: 1