Reach Adjustment on HFX-9...too far from bar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Reach Adjustment on HFX-9...too far from bar

I have already screwed in the reach adjuster allen screws as far as they go, and the lever is still too far from the bar for me. I am a 1 finger braker, index and usually have the brake set in quite a bit from the grips on the bars, such that the tip of the lever is in front of my index finger...for max power. With the brakes locked on there is about 2 cm betw the lever and the grip, which doesnt sound like a lot but on my other bike with Hayes Mag it comes to 1 cm and feels oh so much better....

Anyway to decrease this reach further?

Remove some fluid?..

Thinner rotors?

thanks, Thumbies

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    I have already screwed in the reach adjuster allen screws as far as they go, and the lever is still too far from the bar for me. I am a 1 finger braker, index and usually have the brake set in quite a bit from the grips on the bars, such that the tip of the lever is in front of my index finger...for max power. With the brakes locked on there is about 2 cm betw the lever and the grip, which doesnt sound like a lot but on my other bike with Hayes Mag it comes to 1 cm and feels oh so much better....

Anyway to decrease this reach further?

Remove some fluid?..

Thinner rotors?

thanks, Thumbies

If you have wound the adjuster grub screws all the way out, then that's it. Apart from changing the lever arms I don't think you will get it much closer than what you have now.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    If you have wound the adjuster grub screws all the way out, then that's it. Apart from changing the lever arms I don't think you will get it much closer than what you have now.

R.
    change the lever arms with what?

thumb

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hayes makes a lever for the Nine series called the SRL (Short Reach Lever) for folks with smaller hands. It'll run you about $30US per blade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    I have already screwed in the reach adjuster allen screws as far as they go, and the lever is still too far from the bar for me.
    You don't screw the reach adjuster in, you screw it out. Turn it counter-clockwise. Maybe that's what you meant/did; just making sure.

mtbr member
    (Assuming that you did turn that screw the right direction and you already have the levers in as far as they will go)

Last time I had this problem, it was because somehow my brake system had absorbed alot of moisture very quickly (I can only assume because this happened right after I was in a DH race where it poured rain the entire day). I actually ended up blowing my brake line a couple of days after the race.

So I would think letting a little fluid out should work. A better bet would be do an entire re-bleed, if your brakes haven't been bled in a long time, and you previously didn't have this problem. The likely cause is the brake fluid has absorbed moisture over time and now has a greater volume.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

thanks for suggestions...

The brakes are brand new, only 2 months old.
    Yes i have them screwed inthe proper direction

I got 2 suggestions fromt he LBS, one was to reset the pucks (caliper pistons) with the ole 10 mm wrench trick and then after reinstalling the pads, but before squeezing the brakes, insert a business card between pad and rotor on both sides of rotor. Then squeeze brakes till they gat firs (about 3 pumps) and then remove business cards and voila! the pads should have set themselves somewhat farther in the calipers.

didna work!

Second suggestion was to attach a hose with a small syringe (3 ml) to the caliper bleeder. Have 1 ml of (dot 3 or 4) fluid in the syringe just in case (explain later). The crack the bleeder and draw out 1 ml of fluid and tighten it again. The fluid already in the syringe is to ensure an air bubble doesnt get mistakenly injected into the caliper before applying the suction.

Frankly i cannot see how this will help since isnt hayes and open system so the extra in the reservoir (at the lever) make up for any missing?

Furthermore, assuming it does work, how do i adjust both brakes evenly?

thumb

Members who have read this thread: 0