Questions for BB7 finatics!- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Questions for BB7 finatics!

Wanno know if anyone has an actual weight on a BB7 caliper. My scale is broke so I have no way to measure. Have read that they are 330 but believe that includes the rotor. Thinking about doing some pretty trick upgrades to the braking system (new levers, rotors, ti bolts) but not sure if it is worth the money spent when I could pick up a used/new set of Marta SL's for around $300.

Trying to play a bit of the weight weenie game here if you will so I would be buyin a set of KCNC or Paul levers, KCNC rotors, ti rotor and caliper mounting bolts.

SuperInstigator
    BOOM!

I'm a fan of the Avid BB7s, but the only hydraulics I've spent a lot of time on actually riding are Hayes Nines...which are pretty much what you get if you like your bike to weigh a lot and still not stop all that great, so it's not really relevant to this thread.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Low Rep Count
    I sent an ebay seller question about some carbon lever blades that I saw the other day that weigh like 38g for the pair. Apparently they would fit my FR-5's but it really wouldn't shave much weight since the bulk of the weight is in the actual clamp portion of the lever. Hell the KCNC levers weigh about 28g ea. That is for the total lever for crying out loud. That is almost like bolting air on your bike! But at a cost of $140 its some special imported air or something!!!

But seriously, I need a weight on the actual BB7 calipers. I know I can make them into a fairly light set of BB7's but knowing that I could have saved even more weight for the same amount of money bothers me a little bit. Just don't know if I want to deal with hydraulic problems again like I had with my XT M775's

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I sent an ebay seller question about some carbon lever blades that I saw the other day that weigh like 38g for the pair. Apparently they would fit my FR-5's but it really wouldn't shave much weight since the bulk of the weight is in the actual clamp portion of the lever. Hell the KCNC levers weigh about 28g ea. That is for the total lever for crying out loud. That is almost like bolting air on your bike! But at a cost of $140 its some special imported air or something!!!

But seriously, I need a weight on the actual BB7 calipers. I know I can make them into a fairly light set of BB7's but knowing that I could have saved even more weight for the same amount of money bothers me a little bit. Just don't know if I want to deal with hydraulic problems again like I had with my XT M775's
    You must have not seen that I linked "BOOM!" in my first post with this link...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=365630

AZ
    banned
    2010 Weight without adapter or bolts , includes pads and cable anchor bolt : 180 grams +/-

Low Rep Count
    Damn! I thought you simply underlined it as if to say Boom, here I am! Got it. Reading now! Thanks!!!!

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Damn! I thought you simply underlined it as if to say Boom, here I am! Got it. Reading now! Thanks!!!!
    Hahahaha now that you say that, there's no reason why I would think that was a link, either. Sure thing mate!

Low Rep Count
    I guess that is fairly heavy when you see a full R1 w/ cable and lever sitting at 230g! I don't think I would be giving up that much weight though with the idea I am having. Unfortunately, I don't know what the weight of the actual ti bolts are that I am looking at.

But we are talking about the following as a set up

Calipers Type N @ 284 (pair)
    KCNC rotors @ 152 (pair)
    KCNC levers @ 46 (pair)
    Cables @ 130 (+/- for front/rear combined)
    Pads @ 48 (for both brakes)
    Ti hardware @ 40g (probably less as this is based on the stock hardware posted)

Total weight would be about 700g not too bad! Hell, I thought they would weigh more than that. Don't get me wrong if a set of Marta SL's or R1's or even the new XTR's are running in the mid to low 200g ea. then I am still leaving weight on the table. Knowing that I can pick up a set of new Marta SL's (2010) on ebay for around $3-400 it may be worth just going that route. But then I will be dealing with hydraulics and losing some of the simplicity and adjustability of the BB7's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I got a set just last week. Calipers, all mouting hardware, and 160mm rotors came to 722 grams total. About 64 grams more than Avid's claimed weight, but not sure if they were including rotors and hardware in that.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    I got a set just last week. Calipers, all mouting hardware, and 160mm rotors came to 722 grams total. About 64 grams more than Avid's claimed weight, but not sure if they were including rotors and hardware in that.
    When you say "set" are you referring to front/rear or as we say a "set of front brakes"? Just looking for some clarity here.

My math must be off or something with the numbers I came up with based on what had been posted in the other thread that was linked. I can't see how I came up with shaving only 22g with the set up I mentioned. I mean the rotors alone are like 30-40g lighter ea. on their own. I understand that I added back in 40g for the levers but how is this possible.

I think I am going to barrow a scale from work tomorrow and bring it home to get some measurements. I figure I can at least measure my cables, calipers, and hardware. Then I can add in the weight of the new rotors and levers and get a more accurate weight of what I am looking at.

Hopefully, I can get something up tomorrow. hell, I might just cut the zip ties and just take the brakes with me to work for that matter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    front and rear together. levers not included.

Low Rep Count
    I just pulled the calipers/cables/rear adapter/mounting bolts, off the bike. I am going to take them to work with me tomorrow and weigh them. I will post up a weight of mine in the morning. This will give me a better idea of what I am working with and then do a little research to see if I can get a weight on the projected ti rotor bolts and mounting hardware. I can then add in the weight of the new KCNC rotors and levers and should be spot on at that point. Cya in the AM!

mtbr member
    Slightly out of topic .

I personally think that if you want to go hydraulics, the new XTR and the Marta SL would be your best choices in terms of weight to power ratio . I have buddies using the three lightweight contendors(XTR,MartaSL,R1) and the XTR is the most powerful, followed by the Marta SL .

About the BB7 tuning. How about some powercordz inner cable with alligator i-links?

mtbr member
    double post. sorry .

Low Rep Count
    Not sure what an alligator i-link is so I will need to look that up. Current set up has Gore cables on them and they are super smooth. Just not super light!

So I brought them with me to work and got some weights on them. I did not completely disassemble everything mind you but it should give me an idea of where I am sitting. I noticed that my calipers have different weights. I then began looking closer and the calipers are different. The lighter one appears to be a little more refined and trimmed down in different areas. Enough to provide a 10g difference between the two of them.

F Caliper w/ pads and cable pinch bolt = 164.5g
    R Caliper w/ pads and cable pinch bolt = 174.8g
    F Cable = 56.1g
    R Cable = 92.3g
    Post Mount bolts = 21.7g

R Caliper w/pads, adapter, bolts = 229.5g
    so the adapter w/bolts weighs = 54.7g
    Adapter alone = 33g

Ok so my idea of a tuned set would look like this
    f. caliper = 164.5
    f. cable = 56.1
    Ti mounting bolts = 12
    KCNC Rotor w/ ti bolts = 80
    Total = 312.6g for the front not including the lever (+23g = 335.6g)

r. cal = 174.8
    r. cab = 92.3
    ti bolts = 12
    adapter = 33
    KCNC rotor w/ ti bolts = 80
    Ti rotor bolts = 7
    Total = 399.1 for rear not including lever (+23g = 422.1g)

Total complete = 757.7g (calipers, levers, rotors, adapter, ti bolts (rotors/mounting)
    Total calipers/rotors/ti bolts = 544.3g (the parts you get when you buy BB7's new minus one adapter)

I guess that is a pretty good savings but I have to debate over whether it is worth the money. I think it really boils down to what brakes you prefer in the end. If you are happy with the BB7's and don't want to deal with the hydraulic issues then I think this is a great setup. But the reality still stands that you can buy a used set of Marta SL's for about the same amount of money and shave about another 100 grams or so w/ no problems.

Hopefully, my math is correct and makes sense. I pretty much added everything up 2-3 times before posting but I am human and could have screwed up. Hell, I started to confuse myself with all the different numbers I was throwing around.

mtbr member
    How long are your cables?

Alligator i-link housing : 27g/m
    Powercordz inner cable: 2.9g/m

I-link with powercordz : 29.9g/m

I believe your front and rear cable combined should not exceed three metres

Even at 3 metres, the total weight of a powercordz-ilink set would be 89.7g .

That is still less than your calculations:

F Cable = 56.1g
    R Cable = 92.3g

I only remember these as I considered doing BB7 tuning a half year ago, but gave up on that idea halfway .

Low Rep Count
    My cables are Gore gables so they are fairly heavy. Combined they are about 5 feet long so almost 2m if you will.c
    I don't think I am going to pursue the tuning of the brakes and just leave them the way they are for now. I am pretty sure I am going to go ahead and try to get my hands on some Marta SL's. The R1's while light just seem a little over priced to me and I don't want to deal w/ any such problems like I had with my XT's by going with the XTR's.

fyi, I did not buy the cables. They actually came with the brakes when I got them (picked them up used on ebay earlier this year)

mtbr member
    Thats great. You can do tuning for your Marta SL as well. One thing about maguras is that their lever feel is slightly firmer than other hydraulic brakes. I use a Louise Carbon, and coming from a XT M775 the lever feels like it was made for strong fingers .

I would get the SL over the R1s, having tried both . The SL is on a Nomad with heavier wheels. The R1 is on a titanium Quiring which is a 29er .Both belong to people who are my riding buddies fortunately. The R1 has a better feel than the SL, but lacks its power . Plus, the lever looks flimsy and easy to break in case of an accident. This is only my opinion though.

One more thing. If you plan to buy any aftermarket parts for your SL stick to the magura parts. They get wary whenever you use aftermarket parts that are not theirs, and bring your warranty into it .

You might know all of these already, just trying to chip in .

Low Rep Count
    Man, I am torn though. I had to put the brakes back on the bike last night since I took them off to get the weights. They went on in a snap, a couple quick turns of the dial and BAM! Dialed in! Hell, I may forgo all the super weight savings and just slap some damn KCNC levers on this thing.

If I do go hydraulic, it will be SL's. I simply like the design and have read alot of good reviews about them.

Low Rep Count
    So I was just looking at some Marta SL's and noted that you can pick up a new set for right around $400 on the higher end of things. With all the mods mentioned that can be done with a set of BB7's the (actually running the Alligator/i-Link cable set up) you would come in right around 720 grams or so I am guessing. A stock set of Marta's are at about 730 I believe. You can still shed a little weight off of that with some ti bolts and some lighter rotors as well putting you into the high 600's I would think. For me the debate is still out to a degree. The beauty of the BB7's is that I can buy them a piece at a time to build them up if you will. But I have my eye on a few things right now on ebay and will hopefully be able to make a decsion by the end of the weekend. There is a chance that I can pick up a set (two separate auctions, one for a front and one for a rear) for quite cheap but it all depends on how many people jump in and start bidding. The downside is that the rear one is a 2007 version and I don't have a weight on that one. It looks identical to the front one in a different auction though. Not sure if the styles have changed too much over the years or not. The down side is that I will only end up with one rotor out of the two auctions, but if I am going to get lighter ones anyway, it really won't make any difference.

Wish me luck! If this falls through then I may just start the process of upgrading the BB7's

Big Gulps, Alright!
    BB7s can definitely be tuned out. I had a pretty average set of BB7s/SD7s/Jagwire housing and Alligator rotors come in at 1094g or so (7" front disc, adaptors included)

My newer Juicy Ultimates with the same rotor sizes came in at 860g.

You pay a small weight penalty, but not much really.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have used a variety of hydros including the older Hayes, the shimano Xt and XTR, and most recently the Avid Ultimates with the carbon bladed levers. Very light out of the box at around 700 grams for the full kit including rotors. I have also used BB5 and BB7's on a number of bikes and have gone through the weight decision process that you are, trying to decide which is the best route. Although the Ultimates looked cool, were light out of the box, and had a light lever feel I ended-up selling them and going back to a new set of BB7's. The amount of sheer braking power provided by the BB7's over the Ultimates was notable, and ease of set-up as always is a piece of cake with the BB7's. I read somewhere that the BB7 is the only brake certified for use on tandems thanks to its braking \ stopping capabilities, but thats just what I read and may not be fact.

One last comment. I ran across some interesting lightweight brake levers the other day that use derailluer cable & housing.

http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&...1=BRAKE+LEVERS

They look pretty spindly, but they do only weigh 50 grams for the set, and the shifter cable and housing is supposed to be lighter.

Members who have read this thread: 0